Pix4D Mavic 2 Processing Issues

Exactly the same problem. Jack, any website or Youtube tutorial you could recommend to learn how to “zeroing the altitudes values” ? Will definitely appreciate it ! 

2 km offset is not acceptable :frowning: and the time post processing manually either. 

Sure.  Keep in mind zeroing out the altitudes WONT put it in the right location…but I will make it cleaner without that blurring issues (at least when we do it).  Here is how to do it…when you create a new pix 4d project and load the pics left click on one of the altitudes in the list…

type zero…proceed as usual…let me know how it works out for you.

Edited on January 24th 2019

A new firmware update for DJI Mavic 2 was released on 2018.10.11 (v01.00.01.00) and the latest status regarding the geotags is the following:

• GPS Altitude  written in the EXIF file of the images  is correct. 
    Exif.GPSInfo.GPSAltitudeRef   Above sea level
    Exif.GPSInfo.GPSAltitude        376.6 m
  • Latitude and Longitude  written in the EXIF file of the images  are not correct.
    Exif.GPSInfo.GPSLatitude       46deg 30’  - 24.216"
    Exif.GPSInfo.GPSLongitude      6deg 32’  - 17.914"

At the moment, I would recommend  updating the firmware  version of the DJI Mavic 2 Pro and apply one of these three workarounds:

1.- For those who use Pix4Dcapture for image acquisition.

• Performing the mission with Pix4Dcapture (iOS) flight planning app produces a project file ( .p4d ) when downloading the images to the device, also called Synchronization

After successful synchronization, the .p4d file and images can be extracted from the mission folder when connecting the mobile device to a computer or by directly uploading the project on the cloud

This project file (.p4d) includes correct coordinates of the images and will position the images correctly in the project. For precise georeferencing, I recommend using GCPs

2.- For those who do not use Pix4Dcapture.

- 2.a Pix4Dmapper 4.4.9

A new Pix4Dmapper preview version has been released (on January 24th, 2019)  which reads the image geolocation from the XMP tags instead of the EXIF tags.  This only applies for  DJI drones  (Including Mavic 2), for all other drones, the image geolocation will still be taken from the EXIF tags.

In case of DJI drones, the exact tags which are taken are:

• Xmp.drone-dji.Latitude

• Xmp.drone-dji.Longitude

• Xmp.drone-dji.AbsoluteAltitude

More information about EXIF and XMP tags can be found here: EXIF and XMP tag information read by Pix4D

Please note that the altitude can still be inaccurate. From our experience, the correct altitude when it comes to DJI drones is most of the times written in the Xmp.drone-dji.AbsoluteAltitude but it is sometimes written in the Xmp.drone-dji.RelativeAltitude tag. 

Our recommendation is to check the coordinates in the Image Properties Editor  before running the project.

- 2.b BR`s EXIFExtracter

There is a freeware programme called _BR`s EXIFExtracter (_which can be easily downloaded here) which is able to create a .csv file including the GPS coordinates read from the XMP tags.

The steps to follow are:

• Open the software
  • Select the folder where the images are located
  • Select the name and folder where the .csv file will be saved
  • Select the data to be exported: GPS latitude, GPS longitude, GPS altitude.
  • Click on export

Best,

Thank you Jack ! I’ll definitely come back here and post the results…  

This has been working for me:

Download the LogFile, P4DSettings, Pix4Dcapture, and SDK_logs folders from the iphone to my desktop.

Manually move all the pics files from the drone to the correct project Data folder. 

I then open the Pix4Dcapture >Projects>Project 0000*>Mission0000* folders and click on Mission0000*

Pix4D will open the project and all the shots are where they should be. 

Chad, what kind of altitude readings are you getting?

Without making any vert. adjustments or tying to GCP’s Z is off by 1,000’. 

Good Afternoon, 

Some news from DJI abuout incorrect GEOTAG??

We repeat 4 times the same fly and all of these was incorrect with exactly the same faillure.

This is a terrific problem when you are using the platform with professional interest

We change MAVIC for MAVIC 2 PRO waiting a improvement in the pictures and we find a authentic fudge.

Please, PIX4D, help us with this issue.

Thanks

I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM!!! how is it possible that PIX4D has not fixed this issue??? 

I just confirmed that the gps in properties is correct. This is in fact a Pix4D calculation issue. The angles are different by a consistent change in seconds between rows of shots, yet the shots come in to Pix4D suddenly jumping by 100s of feet.

Hello everyone,

Theofficial commentfrom Blaž has a new workaround which was just added.

Therefore, there are two workarounds to overcome this problem with the Mavic 2 drone and get the images located in the right position.

Regards.

1 Like

Daniel,

Thanks for posting the official workarounds. While extracting the metadata to a csv does seem to work for me, I’m not clear why it’s necessary - why doesn’t pix4d just pull from the correct metadata? It knows the photos were taken from the Mavic 2, and the properdata exists because we can extract it with the exif extractor. You could even test to see if xmp and exif data is different and then ask will the user which to use?

Hello Stephan,

What is the problem you are facing when importing the csv file?

We are working on a fix. As soon as there is a solution, it will be posted here so please follow this post by clicking on “Follow” on your upper right corner and you will be informed.

Thank you very much.

Sorry - was trying to say no problem with getting the workaround to work - csv import was successful.  I’m just surprised the workaround is necessary given the metadata is there in the first place - glad to hear you are working on a more permanent fix - I guess that’s what I was asking, so I look forward to having it work without the need for the workaround :wink:

Stefan

Any idea why I would be receiving the shown Pix4Dmapper error message shown in the image attached when I try to import the CSV file for the Geolocation and Orientation using BR’s EXIFextractor program?

I had a similar issue on one of my projects, it ended up that the image did not have the associated metadata. When I checked it  the image in question was actually one which did not belong in my set, so I just tossed that one image and then redid the extractor and everything worked out.

1 Like

hi,

I have a similar problem using BR’s EXIFextractor program. In the properties of the photo my Altitude is 0. That why pops up an error using import the CSV file. Do you know why the Altitude is 0 in my image ? 

Hi,

The screenshot reflects what was written by the drone in the image´s tags. I suppose there was a problem during the flight and the Z coordinate has been wrongly recorded.

Regards.

Hello Thread-

I appreciate the discussion and workarounds here, but with all due respect, hasn’t the Mavic Pro 2 been out long enough by now that we should have a patch to work with Mavic Pro 2 data? I understand that the format of the GPS tags is slightly different, but it seems like opening a bug with DJI is kind of offloading the burden when P4D could jut release a patch? I’ve been processing my Mavic Pro 2 data with DroneDeploy for the past month and they seem to be reading the appropriate GPS data. 

Hello Daniel,

The developers are working on a fix and it will be released next year.

Just “Follow” this post to get a notification every time there is an update.

We will post it as soon as it is released.

Regards.

1 Like