Support Website Contact Support Blog

Mavic Pro 2 Processing Issues - Worst one yet

Ok so we have been processing Mavic and Mavic 2 drone images for a while now but this one is the strangest one yet. Normally we can ignore the gimbal information and load the GPS info in from a file and we are all good, but not this time.

We have a job that has around 800 photos. Not the best grid but more than enough to get the job done.

I have processed the job in the following ways

  1. As is with no changes

  2. Changed to rolling shutter

  3. Disabled gimbal info but loaded in GPS info with global shutter

  4. Disabled gimbal info but loaded in GPS info with rolling shutter

  5. Edited gimbal info to make sure camera thinks its pointed straight down with GPS data loaded in with global shutter

  6. Edited gimbal info to make sure camera thinks its pointed straight down with GPS data loaded in with rolling shutter

I then did all 6 ways with both 1/2 image scale and full image scale. I am now 7 days into trying to get this job done and am getting nothing. I have even tried to run this with all information stripped and just running it as a photogrammetry project and it still fails. What is going on? I have run this job in Meshroom and VisualSFM and they work both in there, but in order to get everything flat and add in our GPS data I need to run this in Pix4D. Ive attached my BEST Pix4D processing project along with what a Meshroom did. HELP!

Currently running version 4.4.12

 

Hi Jason,

Thank you for all the tests done and the details provided.
As you already went into a lot of troubleshooting, is it possible for you to upload your dataset on this onedrive link so that we can investigate further what could be the cause of the issue you are experiencing?

To be able to help you in an efficient way, can you also upload the following files:
▸ The quality report (.pdf format): …\project_name\1_initial\report\project_name_report.pdf
▸ The project log file (text file): …\project_name\project_name.log
▸ The project file (.p4d): …\project_name.p4d

Best,

Figured out the issue late last night. Here is what fixed this on version 4.4.12

Once you upload your pictures and are on the Image Properties Editor page you need to export To File

Next you need to select Name, Coordinates, Orientation, Accuracy

Export all of this data like the picture shows above and open it up in an excel sheet. The data will load into the sheet in the following order

Image Name, Latitude, Longitude, Altitude, Omega, Phi, Kappa, Horizontal Accuracy, Vertical Accuracy

Now I know my drones gimbal was pointed down then entire time but for some reason my Kappa value is all over the place, from -180 to 180 so I decided to 0 out the Omega and Phi values and set Kappa to -180 which for the DJI Mavic Pro 2 as of right now 07/10/2019 straight down.

After then I save the file and I load these new values from file

.

Proceed with selecting your Processing template and then one you are on the main project screen head over to the Processing Options in the bottom left of the screen. Select the Initial Processing tab on the left, make sure ADVANCED is selected in the bottom left of the window and change the Internal Parameters Optimization to ALL PRIOR.

This now gives me a usable project

I hope this helps anyone in the future

Hi Jason,

Thank you very much for explaining the method that enabled you to get satisfying results from your dataset.
It is always interesting to explain how issues were solved on the community so that it can help other users.

Best regards,