New DJI Smart Controller

It used to be that you were warned about potential side effects of using DJI Go and the Pix4D apps at the same time. Is it still the case? Are you getting successful flights with this method?

Hi Frederic
I am getting lots of good missions
Still some issues with exposure though, but that seems a learning experience.
I am getting more comfortable with starting Pix4D , planning my mission, saving it, exiting and starting DJI Go, setting focus and exposure and locking in manual mode, then opening Pix4D and starting the mission.
I am finding that Pix4D sometimes disconnects after the mission has started, but since the mission is in the drone it continues to fly the mission. When you restart Pix4D you can see the drone in the mission , but it no longer shows pictures being taken, and a warning is at the top of screen that the drone is in manual mode. Don’t worry, the drone will continue to fly its mission and will return to land when mission is finished. I download the photos directly from the drone to computer with the micro usb connection as it is a waste of time downloading to smart controller.
the drone still responds to the abort command and at any time it is possible to exit and start DJI Go and take control of the drone to alter the mission

Any chance Pix4D will work with DJI to simplify the installation and workability of Pix4D capture app on the DJI Smart Controller for Mavic 2 Pro?
I’ve been waiting for nearly a year.
The Smart controller is great for general aerial photo/videography, but the vast majority of my work is in mapping!
I really, really want to use the Smart controller with Pix4D capture!

Hi, which version of the apps are you using?

Does your ctrl + DJI work or do you just open up the DJI app and then go into pix 4d?

DJI Mavic 2 Pro w/latest DJI firmware and DJI GO 4 software updated. I used Ctrl DJI_v1.9.9 and Pix4Dcapture_v4.8.0 and everything works fine except no video feed when conducting the mission. This would be very nice to have implemented.

I tested today with the recommendation above about setting focus and exposure lock in DJI Go 4 app and then opening Pix4D and starting the mission, thanks jeff1 for the information!

Pix4d, please consider implementation of video transmission during the mission for future updates.

Thanks,

CT

Hi, sorry I’m late… Yep, me too, was able to run and waiting for actual fly OPS. What I did was:

1. Loaded “apkpure” first.
  2. Install pix4dcapture and ctrl+dji both using apkpure.
  3. turn ON the mavic2pro (thats what i am using) and then ctrl+dji first.
  4. does not matter what, I asked to run pix4d from ctrl+dji first. did all init jobs like login and etc.
  5. closed the apps, reboot the controller (smart controller)
  6. turn on ctrl+dji and waiting for a green sig about “connect” and got it.

Now I hope it will work but since i was actually indoor, i could not try… I will try later, probably removing the propellers for fail safe and manual fly using pix4d first (lol). But so far, it’s fine…

At this stage, i have just a simple question… in mission plan, the elevation, is this MSL/AGL or the elevation from where I’m taking off?? Because depending on that the imaging depends right??

Yes, DJI, please add this, as then we will not have to switch here and there…

Well, update… it worked… but several things, #1 is no APAS. #2 is I dont know when is the ebst time for RTH (now have to make manual assumptions… means a bit gambling). #3 yes, NO VIDEO… Ohhh!!!

Hello Mavic 2 pro with Smart Controller community,

thanks for your posts. I follow it to install pix4d capture (version 4.8.0) and Ctrl+Dji (version 1.9.9) on Smart Controller (version 1.00.0700) and Mavic 2 pro (version 01.00.0510).

However, pix4d capture is not connected with mavic and an error message appears :
“DJI SDK error : The server may be busy or is not reachable” and “OK”
You can see a photo of the message below

Have you a solution to resolve this error message ?

thanks for your responses

Martial

Hello,
As a first step, I would suggest you go through all the basic checks and troubleshooting steps as it will solve most of the issues that can be encountered if properly followed.

In a second time, I would suggest reinstalling the applications from scratch following the procedure below:

Caution

The two procedures below may imply data loss so we recommend to make a backup if there are important data saved. Connect the mobile device and copy the Pix4D folder (Local Storage > Device storage > Pix4D) to your computer.

1. Clear data and clear cache memory of the application
  2. Open the Settings application on the Android device.2. Scroll the list and tap Apps, Applications or Manage apps.
  3. (optional) On certain devices like Samsung, tap Application Manager.
  4. Scroll the list to find the application.
  5. From the list, tap Storage.
  6. Tap CLEAR DATA and CLEAR CACHE.
  7. Re-install Ctrl+Plugin and Pix4Dcapture from scratch
  8. Uninstall Pix4Dcapture and Ctrl+Plugin.
  9. Connect the device to a computer and navigate to Local Storage > Device storage > Pix4D.
  10. Delete the content of all folders.
  11. Delete the Pix4D folder.
  12. Re-install the latest version of Pix4Dcapture and Ctrl+Plugin.
  13. (optional) Place the backup content back into the Pix4D folder to restore data.

Best,

Ok so, firstly, I’m stoked that Pix4D is FINALLLLLYYYYY working on the Dumb Controller.

Secondly, after a painful few hours updating the controller to get the app working, I managed to get there.
It recognises the drone and conducts a mission, but I’m having a problem with resuming a mission after pausing to swap out a battery. When I hit abort and bring the drone back, I swap the battery and start it again but it does not automatically reconnect to the drone. It seems I have to hard-close and re-open CTRL+DJI to get it to connect again. Once I do that and go back to Pix4D, I can’t resume. For some reason it places a new mission BESIDE the existing one like this -

It cost me extra hours today and I have to go back tomorrow to finish the job. Any ideas?

Hello,

The DJI smart controller is not officially supported or tested by the Pix4Dcapture app. That might be the reason you are having an issue. For more information, I would suggest you to go through our support article on Supported drones, cameras and controllers.

Regards,

Hello,

is there a way to connect the dji smart remote to pix4d capture? please help

Yes indeed. Download DJI PILOT PE. Then you will have the ability to use the smart controller for mapping. PE stands for “Private edition” and will work with the non enterprise drones. I know this, because I have a mavic 2 pro and this is precisely how I have my setup.

I’m the past when this has happened to me, go to your projects tab within the Pix4Dcapture app and open the mission, and hit resume. Not sure if this will solve it but it’s what resolved this same problem for me in the past.

NO ME DEJA INSTALAR LA APP EN EL CONTROL DEL PHANTOM 4 YA QUE ESTE CONTROL VIENE CON LA PANTALLA INCLUIDA Y AL QUERER INSTALARLA ME DICE QUE NO ESTA AUTORIZADA POR DJI. ESPERO QUE USTEDES ME PUEDAN APOYAR.
SALUDOS Y MUCHAS GRACIAS.

Hmmm, so I updated CTRL + DJI to v1.9.9 and now it won’t connect to my M2P anymore :angry:

Hi - I just chatted with a DJI tech support person. I have a smart controller with a Mavic 2 Pro. The rep told me my issues were because the DJI Pilot PE was not compatible with the Mavic 2 Pro, but it sounds as if you are using that exact setup. The questions I had were: 1) Is it possible to change the gimbal angle from 90 deg in Mapping missions? and 2) When I flew my test mission, the map screen went blank, although the mission was successful. What is the process to cache a satellite or map image when working away from WiFi? Any help or guidance would be appreciated.

I use HTC phones in the attics of Russian and still work fine with -45 not long but they manage somehow! Or look for battery heated socks and glue the heating part on the back of the phone so you can hear the phone a bit! Good luck

Do you have thought about the compatibility of the DJI Smart Controller for the Pix4DCapture application for the Mavic Enterprise Dual on Android as it is already on iOS?

Thanks.