Will you be supporting the Mavic Air

@Jonathan Drake, great question and point, and thank you for sharing a link to the discussion on DJI’s forum.

You are correct that if DJI includes the Mavic Air in its mobile SDK that we will consider adding the Mavic Air to Pix4Dcapture, even if waypoints are not supported. In the absence of waypoints, the Mavic Air would be supported by Pix4Dcapture’s _Free Flight _mode.

I cannot provide an estimate of when the Mavic Air will be added to Pix4Dcapture in the event that the Mavic Air is supported by DJI’s mobile SDK, nor can I guarantee that it will be added to Pix4Dcapture under those circumstances. However, I can assure you that we will consider it.

The latest information I could find about the Mavic Air being supported by DJI’s mobile SDK is from late 2018. DJI’s official statement was that they do not know if, or when, the Mavic Air will be supported by DJI’s mobile SDK. In the meantime, please let us know if you have reason to believe that the Mavic Air is supported by DJI’s mobile SDK and we will certainly consider supporting it in a future version of Pix4Dcapture to the greatest extent possible.

1 Like

Hi Andrew,

That’s great to hear; thanks so much for the reply! With regard to the timing of the SDK, the second-to-last post on this thread would seem to be of interest; I hope it’s true!

-Jonathan

@Jonathan Drake, that’s good to know. Thank you for sharing the latest update from DJI. Fingers crossed that the Mavic Air will be supported in DJI’s mobile SDK, however, I recommend that we not count our chickens until they hatch.

More importantly, please consider that I cannot guarantee that Pix4Dcapture will support DJ’s Mavic Air when it becomes possible but can assure you that we will consider it.

1 Like

Understood! Thanks!

I did not realize that the Mavic Air does not support waypoint missions. This is very unfortunate and if I knew this I would have not purchased it. The Air is compact and would be ideal for mapping because it can fit in those small areas that other drones can’t. For instance areas around buildings that the point cloud doesn’t pick up because of trees, the mavic air would be able to go between those and stitch together those inconsistencies, at least in the free flight mode. Please add it to Pix4Dcapture in free flight mode, if not I will move on to a program that does.

Another vote for the Mavic Air! 

From what I’m reading, waypoints are now available for Mavic Air via SDK. There may be some issues but obviously new buyers are more likely to be using Mavic Air or Mavic Spark. Spark is supported but with limits. Air is more capable but not currently supported.

Someone is going to start supporting mapping using Mavic Air, and that company will be getting my immediate business. Hoping it is you, Pix4D…

1 Like

I hope DJI pulls through with supporting waypoint missions for the Mavic Air. I was hoping to get the Mavic Air and start using it with Pix4D for my courses and rapid response mission support.

DJI got back to me today saying ‘Try to use the Mavic Air with the latest SDK 4.5. It supports the waypoint mission’. Hopefully Pix4D will integrate this soon?

Well that sounds pretty definitive - great job! Looks like the ball is in Pix4D’s court now…

Voting to have waypoints and grid missions for Mavic Air Pls.

Hi everyone,

Our understanding is that the latest version of DJI’s Mobile SDK, 4.5, supports waypoint mission planning with DJI’s Mavic Air.

Adding support for DJI’s Mavic Air to a future version of Pix4Dcapture will be considered as part of the ongoing development of the application. Unfortunately, I cannot guarantee if, or when, Pix4Dcapture will support DJI’s Mavic Air.

In the meantime, please do not hesitate to let us know if you have any questions about Pix4Dcapture and consider flying with another third party mission planning application. Don’t forget that Pix4D processes images regardless of the application you used to plan and fly your mission.

Thank you for your understanding.

@Shaun, thank you for letting us know that the latest version of DJI’s SDK includes support for waypoints with DJI’s Mavic Air.

1 Like

Based on this information do we have a time line as to when the. mavic air will be supported in Pix4Dcapture ?

Hi Calvin, adding support for DJI’s Mavic Air to a future version of Pix4Dcapture will be considered as part of the ongoing development of the application. I am unable to provide an estimated timeline for when Pix4Dcapture will support the Mavic Air. Unfortunately, I cannot guarantee if, or when, Pix4Dcapture will support DJI’s Mavic Air

You can receive the latest news about Pix4Dcapture by downloading Pix4Dcapture for iOS so that you can review the release notes whenever a new version is released. You can also continue to Follow this post so that you receive an email when additional information is available.

Thank you for your understanding.

Desperately need support for this!  Thanks for making it happen Pix4D!

I just want to tell everyone here that you can still take pictures manually using the Mavic Air and process them through Pix4D, BUT since this program for some reason doesn’t let you put control points or really any points at all when you manually put pictures in it will not turn out good. 

I recently surveyed an abandoned barn using my Mavic Air taking many pictures and I processed them through DroneDeploy where they allow you to mark the location and add ground points, etc… and it generated a beautiful orthomosaic and 3D model. 

I really want Pix4D to make the Mavic Air compatible but I don’t know when this will happen, so I will continue to use my Air to survey buildings and I will process my images through DroneDeploy and I highly recommend everyone do this as well.

@Julianna, no doubt you can process images that you captured manually while flying you DJI Mavic Air. When in doubt, I recommend that you automate your mission to ensure that you capture consistent coverage across the entire project area. In circumstances where you cannot automate your flight plan because no mission planning application supports your drone, you can capture images manually, but in this case, practice makes perfect.

If you don’t see your ground control points in your images in Pix4D’s rayCloud after you import your GCP coordinates, I anticipate that there is a vertical offset between the image’s initial position, which is reported by the drone’s GPS, and the ground control points’ position. There are a handful of different ways that you can incorporate ground control points into your Pix4D project, but I cannot think of a situation where Pix4D would not allow you to incorporate your GCPs. If you would like to learn more about incorporating GCPs in a Pix4D project, consider How to include GCPs in a project.

If you’d like to continue discussing different ways to incorporate ground control points into a Pix4D project, please let us know by posting in the Processing section of Pix4D’s Community.

I have flown one mission with the mavic air and pix4d. Had an error that said no SD card detected as well as to switch my FAP switch to F. Reserching on the intertnet i could not find a resolve so i went ahead and attempted the mission with extreme caution. The drone did as programed, taking 120 pictures. The Pix4d app showed that the pictures where not being stored. After finishing the mission the drone returned to the go home point and on inspection of the SD card shows all the pictures where taking. I am now in the process of stitching them to gather, i will update when complete

This is very interesting that you have had some success with the Mavic Air @jonathon breingan 

My Pix4dCapture app gives a number of DJI platform options. Which aircraft did you have the app set to? 

Was it a standard polygon mission? What mode did you have the Mavic Air in to resolve the F switch error? 

I would very much like to try replicating your test and see what results I have. 

Do you know if the photos taken had full geotagging? I have found that they were missing some information in the past. 

Any news? I need to use waypoints capabilities to plan a survey mission, thanks