Unable to bring up any Base Map in PIX4DCapture

I have reviewed all the comments made on this problem from the community concerning my DJI CrystalSky and all solutions given have failed. Changing Base Map suppliers has failed using PIX4DCapture app has failed.

My screen is a gridded gray background for neither satellite nor street map images. The Drone is Phantom 4 Pro V2.0. Both PIX4DCaputure and the Ctrl+DJI apps have been installed with contact to the aircraft confirmed but no takeoff or mission initiated for safety reasons.

There seems to be an inability connect with any map suppliers. I do have an account with the USGS.

Any suggestions to solve the problem with my PIX4DCapture on Crystal Sky not connecting to any map provider?

Hi Bruce,

Welcome to our community!

Could you state which solutions had failed? It would be helpful for us and also for visibility to other users for their references.I would like to also avoid giving a solution that you have already tried.

Nevertheless, may I ask if you had a chance to install the latest compatible APKs on DJI CrystalSky, yet?
If you haven’t please have a look at this article: How to install latest compatible APKs on DJI CrystalSky and Yuneec ST16/ST16S - PIX4Dcapture

Usually, if a basemap won’t load it is most likely due to the Basemap provider. In Pix4Dcapture’s case, the default Basemap provider is MapBox.
Feel free to have a look at this article: Basemap provider / Change Basemap provider or add a custom one - PIX4Dcapture

In some places, missing tiles may occur while using the map or satellite view depending on the zoom level. Unfortunately, only the base map provider is responsible for that. It may also come from the fact that some countries intentionally downgrade the resolution of the Basemap provider for political reasons.
I will mention a few workarounds:

Best regards,
Rosana (she/her)

Rossanna;

Thanks for getting back to me on this issue, hopefully we can develop a plan of action that can lead to a solution. The following are answers to your questions.

1. Nevertheless, may I ask if you had a chance to install the latest compatible APKs on DJI CrystalSky, yet? The answer is yes, and on several occasions deleting and reloading the APKs had not solved the problem. I loaded both Pix4DCapture and Ctrl+ DJI found on Pix4D Documentation Website using the article “How to install latest compatible APKs on DJI CrystalSky and Yuneec ST16/ST16S - PIX4Dcapture”. I assume this is the most up to date version.

2. The Base map provider has been tried several times including MapBox which failed, USGS Topographic and USGS Ortho both failed, ESRI Topographic and ESRI Ortho Failed.
    It seems that changing the base map provider has no effect on presentation of Street Basemap or Satellite Basemap. Toggling between Street or Satellite Base Maps has no effect on the display in attempting to plan a mission. Information on changing base maps was taken from Pix4D’s Documentation website " Basemap provider / Change Basemap provider or add a custom one - PIX4Dcapture". My last resort is to add a custom map which I have not done. I have accounts with both MapBox and USGS. The problem to me does not appear to be the basemap selections but rather in a connection to a basemap provider.

3. Currently I have DJIGO4 and Litchi loaded on my Crystal Sky. Both Apps are functioning normally.

4. I have loaded Pix4DCapture on one occasion to a Lenovo Tablet which seemed to bring up a Base Map so I don’t think it’s a case of a missing tiles. No political or disputed areas are known to my knowledge in Central Texas such that tiles are eliminated because of politics, at least I hope not.

Hope that helps,

Bruce May

Hello @mayfliesterra, I believe the issue is with the base map provider Mapbox. Mapbox has shut down its Legacy Static tiles API as of November 1st, 2020. Hence, the current and previous version, which uses the older API will have issues with the base map. The APK version available is 4.5.0 so it is supposed to have issues.

I would also recommend you to go through the below support article on

1 Like