Sharing Google Earth tiles

Hello,

When I successfully export Google Tiles as an output, it seems to work fine in Google Earth as long as I launch the .kml from the default location for my Pix4D project on my machine. However, if I move this google tile bundle to a shared network folder, the .kml link to the associated image tile files and kmls are broken…it seems to have a hard path to the original export path. Is this the intent? You can’t share this to others?

Thanks,

Mike

Hi @Michael_Carlson,

To share the KML file, it is needed to share both the KML file and the tiles of the different zoom levels stored in folders. If only the KML file is shared, Google Earth will focus on the area, but the tiles will not be loaded. To share KML file and all zoom levels, it is convenient to create a KMZ file: a compressed version of the KML file. The KMZ file contains all the tiles and coordinate information needed to load the data. Could you try this and let me know whether it solved your problem?

Thanks!

Hi Beata,

Yes I saved all files from the 3_dsm_ortho\2_mosaic\google tiles folder. It will not load the tiles from the server location…only the C drive where they were outputted to. I am happy to try to make a .kmz file…is there a procedure I can follow to bundle them in .kmz format?

Thanks,

Mike

Hi,

Yes, please have a look at our article on How to share KML files.

Let me know the result,

Thanks!

1 Like

I agree with Michael. I have followed your attached procedure and once you move the the \google tiles folder, it no longer shows the imagery in google earth. I have compressed the folder (KML along with all subfolders) into a KMZ and it will open as long as the KMZ is located within my 3_dsm_ortho folder, but as soon as the KMZ is moved to a shared location, the imagery is no longer visible on google earth.

I do not know what I am missing but it is proving to be a nightmare to try and share pix4d Ortho with non pix4d users.

Hi,

Thank you for letting us know that our article was not straightforward enough.

I updated our instruction. The missing step is covered here:

The recipient has to uncompress the folder on his computer. The file can then be opened by double-clicking the kml file or by dragging and dropping it into Google Earth.

If a recipient attempts to open the file from the shared file, s/he may run into issues.

I hope it fixes the issue.

Cheers!