Pix4Dmapper KLM file appears flat in Google Earth

Hello,

my issue is: I created a KLM file in Pix4Dmapper of a building on a mountain top. The mountain appears correctly when I open it in Google Earth but the building is basically flat with no 3D visual. I can not find any topic on this issue. Is this something simple to fix? Any help is welcome.

Thanks

Hi Jacques,

The KML file is a file format containing the orthomosaic only, which is a 2D visualization of your model. We do not generate KML files of the 3D models.

Hopefully this was helpful.

Cheers,
Teodora

Hi Teodora,

thank you for your quick answer. This is helpful but would you be able to tell me if there is another way to create a 3D KLM file using pix4D? I am new at using the software. Is there another option to create a 3D KML file from another file, for example the DTM?

I am also wondering why would only the mountain profile be visible in 3D in google earth as it is in Pix4D, but not the building located on top of it. Is this a typical behavior of the transformation of the orthomosaic?

Thank you
Jacques

Hi Jacques,

Unfortunately, you cannot generate a 3D KML file in Pix4D. Orthomosaics are two-dimensional orthorectified mosaics and they look like the orthomosaic viewed in the Mosaic Editor. Maybe there are several alternative tools to do this, but I am personally not aware of them.

Best,
Teodora

Hi Teodora,

thank you for explaining. In pix4Dmapper, in the raycloud view, the building appears in 3D. Could you please precise if there is a file output in pix4D different from orthomosaic that would capture this 3D information?

Thanks again for your help. Very appreciated
Jacques

Hi Jacques,
Pix4Dmapper also generates 3D models (point cloud and 3D textured mesh), and these have various file formats: las, obj, ply, xyz etc. Here is an overview of the Pix4D outputs which can be further used in third-party software: Pix4D outputs with other software > by output.

Best,
Teodora

Hi Teodora,

I have been reading the information on the output files related to the 3D textured mesh. It mentions that the 3D texture mesh with georeference is available for the .osgb and .slpk formats. However, these file options do not appear to be available on my processing window - step 2. Where should I look to create these files output?

Thanks again and I hope you don’t mind continuing helping me with this topic
Jacques

Hi Jacques,

This article shows how to export the mesh with the OSGB and SLPK output formats: https://support.pix4d.com/hc/en-us/articles/212218463-How-to-export-the-Triangle-Mesh

Cheers,
Teodora

Hi Teodora,

this article was very useful. I wish pix4D would include a 3D KML output in the future by adding the Z information to the orthomosoaic…

Thanks again
Jacques

Hi Jacques,

We are indeed aware of the importance of this functionality. Unfortunately, adding this feature is currently not on the roadmap. However, your suggestion will have more weight if you share it on our Community and collect more votes from other users.

Here is how you can do this:

1. Go to the category Feature Request/Suggestions.
  2. Log in or create an account, if you don’t have a Pix4D account yet.
  3. Look for the feature you are interested in. Someone else might have already asked for it. If such request doesn’t exist, create it as a new topic.
  4. Vote for it.
  5. Done, your vote is counted!
  6. You can manage, follow-up or even remove your vote(s) if you change your mind.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Teodora