Orthomosaic generation using arbitrary coordinate system (output)

Hello,

I am currently making my first attempt at processing a Pix4D project with an arbitrary coordinate system as the output. 

I have input all of the necessary information in the Site Calibration Parameters window. This information was provided to me by a client and to the best of my knowledge they have used it within Pix4D as well.

My regular processing outputs are the LAS point cloud and a TIFF orthomosaic. The end goal is a merged project consisting of around 6 UAV flights.

The raw imagery is from Sensefly eBee+ and is in WGS84.

Under Processing Options this message is displayed:

Is it possible to have a GeoTiff orthomosaic output if using an arbitrary CS? 

I have processed a sample dataset and the geotiff files are generated however appear to be empty (all pixels have zero value) and are not in my arbitrary CS. The point cloud output is in the arbitrary CS.

Are there any options or workaround for this, or is my only option to output the orthomosaic in a known CS?

Any help that can be provided would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Stephen,

Thank you for providing clear details.

The note refers to the Google Maps tiles and KML files. Sorry if it is unclear. So you CAN export the GeoTIFF orthomosaic in an arbitrary coordinate system.

Are you able to visualize the orthomosaic in the Mosaic Editor of Pix4Dmapper desktop? Could you please share the output with us and the following:

▸ The quality report (.pdf format): …\project_name\1_initial\report\project_name_report.pdf
▸ The project log file (text file): …\project_name\project_name.log
▸ The project file (.p4d): …\project_name.p4d
▸ One or several screenshots of the 3D rayCloud view.

If you do not want to share these files on the community, simply open a support request.

Hi Julie, Thank you for the response.

I am able to access the mosaic editor tab within pix4d however it only shows a white background and not the orthomosaic.

Here are a few screenshots of the raycloud view:

I am unable to share the files you requested directly in this thread so I will provide a download link below. Please let me know if this is acceptable. Otherwise I can provide screenshots of these files.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1e0nYWPT8q6kFqDQnbuFs_irinn37fubb

Thanks very much for your help.

Thank you for sharing the files. I just see you did not select the raster DSM to be exported, that is why the Mosaic Editor cannot be used. It requires the GeoTIFF DSM. Could you please also add to the drive the orthomosaic GeoTIFF file?

The geotiff is now uploaded. It should be available from the same link provided above. Thanks again.

Could you upgrade to the latest version of Pix4Dmapper desktop 4.2.26 (download link)? Then check the GeoTIFF DSM output in the processing options and re-run step 3 to see if it makes any difference on the results?

I am unfortunately only able to use up to my current version as I do not have an upgrade subscription.

Did it make any difference by generating the GeoTIFF DSM?

Hi Julie,

I ran the processing again with the mosaic and the DSM as outputs but there is no change. It only shows a white screen in Mosaic Editor and the output is empty and not in my output coordinate system.

Here is a screenshot of the properties of the mosaic geotiff in Arcmap. The extent coordinates are still UTM.

Here is a screenshot taken from the point cloud. The coordinates are in my arbitrary CS:

I have posted the report and the outputs for you to take a look at:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1PZ44HSPDeoIUUFj5i4OudxehAJPN9jWF

Again, thanks for looking at this for me. 

Hi Stephen,

I would like to reproduce the issue with Pix4Dmapper 4.2.26.
Could you please upload the project images to the Drive folder and let me know?

Thank you :).

The raw images are uploaded, you can find them at this link:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1jo1aVO_8xIKg_0dLZqQQuIMWJbBN97VK

Thanks!

Hi Stephen,

I am able to visualize the orthomosaic in the Mosaic Editor view of Pix4Dmapper (4.2.26) that I generated from your project file (.p4d) meaning that I applied the same processing options as you.

There is also no issue regarding the import into a third-party software like Quantum GIS (QGIS).

When I tried to import the orthomosaic that you generated with 3.1.22, the screen remains blank in QGIS. There is indeed something wrong with the output file. Does this happen to other projects?

This same issues happens with me, I have a arbitrary system and pix4d creates a ortho I can see in mosaic editor. But when I go to import it to Mine sight it just darkens my surface I am attaching it too. is there a fix for this?

Hi @ore.control ,

May I ask which version are you using?

Could you please send us the following?

▸ The quality report (.pdf format): …\project_name\1_initial\report\project_name_report.pdf
▸ The project log file (text file): …\project_name\project_name.log
▸ The project file (.p4d): …\project_name.p4d

Best,