PIX4D Not starting - hmpalert.dll

HI,

Recently I have had an issue with Pix4D starting.
Double click the icon and the windows start circle rolls and then it doesn’t activate.

I followed this thread

and followed the steps to uninstall and update the graphics card driver.

I saw mention from Daniele_Lecci about the antivirus software being whitelisted. The IT admins have white listed pix4d and allow internet to pix4d for licence checking. Daniele menations others users having problems with users using HitmanPro.alert software.

I looked at the error logs and it seems that I am in the same boat. I last used the software successfully on this machine on the 5 July 2021.

Here is the error message.

Faulting application name: pix4dmapper.exe, version: 4.6.4.0, time stamp: 0x60098a2d
Faulting module name: hmpalert.dll, version: 3.8.1.496, time stamp: 0x5fd39483
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00000000000546ee
Faulting process id: 0x4678
Faulting application start time: 0x01d779cb3ff4c772
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Pix4Dmapper\pix4dmapper.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\hmpalert.dll
Report Id: daf9a59e-9c71-4b4b-a1e9-f9470e7b25aa
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

And this is the Information
Fault bucket 1557193074268923378, type 4
Event Name: APPCRASH
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: pix4dmapper.exe
P2: 4.6.4.0
P3: 60098a2d
P4: hmpalert.dll
P5: 3.8.1.496
P6: 5fd39483
P7: c0000005
P8: 00000000000546ee
P9:
P10:

The IT admins say that the dll hmpalert.dll is part of sophos and since the deployed sophos antivirus software is deployed across the organisation it is not an option to remove it.

Sophos Endpoint Agent Version
Core Agent 2.18.2
Endpoint Advanced 10.8.10.3
Sophos Intercept X 2.0.20

Was there a solution to those using sophos antivirus? or a workaround on the hmpalert.dll ?

Thanks

Blair

Hi,

To exclude files and folders from scanning:

1. Sign in to Sophos Home dashboard.
  2. Select the computer where you need to make the exclusion .
  3. Click on the PROTECTION → General → Exceptions to enter your exclusions .
  4. Enter the file or folder name in the field then press enter.
    For more information please have a look here: https://support.home.sophos.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005499966-Setting-scan-exceptions

Can you also please have a look at the solution proposed on this page Sophos Central Admin?

1. Moreover If the computer is behind a firewall:
  • Make sure that the firewall is not blocking pix4d.com , via ports 80 and 443. For instructions on allowing access, consult your network administrator or your home network’s firewall documentation.
  1. If Pix4D sites are not trusted in the operating system (Windows).

Add cloud.pix4d.com site as trusted in the operating system (Windows):

1. Open Internet Explorer.
  2. On the Menu bar, click Tools > Internet options .
  3. Click the Security tab.
  4. Click Trusted sites and then click on the sites button.
  5. Enter the Website URL and click Add .
  6. Click Close .

Best,

Hi - thanks for getting back so quickly.

Have gone through your suggestions above with our IT Administrator
Pix4D was added to the global exclusions and the allowed applications - and pix4d.com is allowed on the firewall.

Tried all the above suggestions.

Pix4d still failed to load

EVENT VIEWER LOG

Faulting application name: pix4dmapper.exe, version: 4.6.4.0, time stamp: 0x60098a2d
Faulting module name: hmpalert.dll, version: 3.8.1.496, time stamp: 0x5fd39483
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000000025095
Faulting process id: 0x594
Faulting application start time: 0x01d77dc4e9d429b3
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Pix4Dmapper\pix4dmapper.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\hmpalert.dll
Report Id: 1274f17d-109b-4084-a0a9-8450e0aac2b7
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

We use SOPHOS CENTRAL Endpoint Protection with a locally deployed sophos client suite.
We removed the sophos client suite from this PC. Rebooted and PIX4D Mapper started.

So the issue pretty much lies with the Sophos software an the hmpalert.dll. Do you have any relationship to Sophos to explain that their software is preventing your software being used?

Whilst it would be great not to have the sophos software installed - this is not something that is applicable in a corporate environment. So still need a solution that can work.

Hi Blair,

May I suggest contacting the SOPHOS support team and open a support case describing what the issue is and let me know how it goes and what they shared with you?

Best,

I’m having this problem too with v4.6.4 for the last day or two, probably related to Hitman Pro Alert (hmpalert.dll).

Please advise if this was resolved. I have not yet tried un/reinstall b/c this appears to be an antivirus/antimalware issue. This is on a university-managed computer that is running Sophos.

Nothing that PIx4D suggested worked. We tried to allow.

It is an issue that PIX4D needs to sort out with SOPHOS

Also a managed computer - but was able to fix by uninstalling sophos on the machine that uses Pix4d.

So overall - not impressed with pix4d

Hi,

The issue is related to the Sophos antivirus/antimalware. I have also contacted Sophos support to whitelist our software but I have not received yet an answer. Is there a way to deactivate the Sophos antivirus?

Can you also try what is suggested in the post above?
According to the Sophos support page, the only place you can customize or change which applications are blocked or allowed is from the Sophos Central admin console. Locally on the computer, you can only switch the feature off or on, but you must be a Sophos Administrator to do this. You can’t customize the policy nor allow an application locally.

Suppose you need to check which applications are allowed or blocked for a specific computer. In that case, you must move to the Sophos Central Admin console and review the specific application control policy applied. For more:
https://support.sophos.com/support/s/article/KB-000035468?language=en_US
In any case, I would suggest raising a ticket with Sophos Support with steps to reproduce including all versions of related software and OS.

I hope your issue gets resolved.

Best,