Monitor loses connection with computer during Stage 2 of desktop processing

|

|

I have a Windows 10 PC with 32G of RAM, NVIDIA 1050Ti graphics card, AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950x 16 core CPU, on a MSI x399 motherboard. My monitor loses connection with the computer while Pix4D is in the Point Cloud and Mesh stage of processing, usually within a minute after counting up the millions of points, monitor goes black then indicates No Signal HDMI 1. I’ve done stress tests on both my GPU and CPU which passed, Prime95 and FurMArk. I’ve tried two different monitors with the same negative result. I can only conclude that it’s software compatibility. Has anyone run into similar issues?? Please help!!

|

|

I’ve had similiar problem. Reoptimizing the project before running step 2 again solved the problem. I hope it works for you as well

Tried reoptimization, ran the project again and still the same result within a minute of counting up the points… Incredibly frustrating!!! 

Very odd one for sure…seems to me it is a video card issue, either the hardware or drivers.  It could also be the motherboard too as Step 2 doesn’t really push the GPU that hard.

Honestly I don’t see how it could be Pix4D…and stress tests don’t always indicate instability in hardware or bugs in drivers.  I wish I had some suggestions to help isolate the problem but I have never heard of this issue.  If you would be able to share the pictures and Pix4D setup then I would run it on my Core i9 machine with 1080Ti card to compare.

Adam.Jordan@nhiae.com 

Hello,

During Step 2. both CPU and RAM are highly used
Please make sure you have enough available RAM (not total) to process successfully your project. 

Moreover, please make sure you have the latest drivers up to date. 

@Travis noticed that updating the BIOS solved the issue! 

Hi Travis, I also had similar problems. But as long the process is not interrupted, it is fine for me although a bit annoying. I also do not have idea why this happen because all the hardware I purchased have good quality according to suggestion in forum.

I had a similar problem (in fact, drivers crashing caused me to have to reboot multiple times).  I had given over all eight cores of my computer and all the RAM to pix4d.  When I backed those off one notch, my problems went away (well, so far they have.)  I’m surprised pix4d would have precedence over anything that could make my computer blue-screen, but who knows?  And the processing is still fast (although I have a good machine {not as good as Travis’ :slight_smile: }).

Hi Andy,

Pix4D Desktop requires a lot of processing resources. The minimum and recommended hardware specifications can be found here. By default, it will make use of all the available resources. You can always reduce the resources used for processing from the Resources and Notifications tab. 
Additionally, you should always make sure that your system and your GPU drivers are up to date for an optimal performance. 

Regards,

Yes, my comment may not apply to Travis’s situation, but my observation has just been confirmed again.

I forgot to set my resources so that pix4d can use only 28 of 32 GB RAM and 7 of 8 CPU threads and it crashed Windows 10 with a driver_power_state_failure during step2. If I let it use everything, it always has symptoms like Travis’s and almost always crashes. 

I would be reformatting and reinstalling Windows if it was my machine but it is good to know turning down the usable resources can help the odd crashing. I have ran hundreds of projects at full resources and I do get the occasional crash. If I get repeated crashes then a reinstall of Windows fixes it.

Thanks for the tip!

I am running a large 3D project on a new machine in our GIS lab, and I am experiencing the same problem of monitors going blank during Steps 2/3.  This is a very robust machine with i9-9980XE 18-core processor, 128 GB of RAM, and a  GeForce RTX 2080 graphics card.  Project has been running for 18 hours. Monitors are blank, so it is impossible to tell what step the process is in or if the machine is simply frozen.  Fans are still running and the CPU is still generating a good amount of heat.  Any specific suggestions?  Should I just allow the process to continue, or should I force a reboot and change some settings before starting over again?  Thank you!

Hello,

As it was mentioned before, sometimes reducing the processing resources helps.

In addition, please make sure that you have the latest drivers and windows is also updated.

Regards.