Mavic 2 Pro and zoom support

@ashley. Im not sure what you mean. You can certainly manually capture the images and process in Pix4D Desktop or Pix4D Cloud afterward with the images if thats what you are asking.

Usually, support for a new drone (without any additional roadblocks) takes about 2-3 months from development through to testing and all the way to roll out. The Devs would kill me if they knew I gave a timeline because there are a lot of mitigating factors but there it is. That is not a hard quote but if the issue is motivated, that is what we could see in terms of rollout. I have seen a lot of calls for supporting the new Mavic 2 pro so I think that the motivation is there. 

Hi to all those looking forward for Mavic 2 Pro support on Pix4D and Pix4D Capture, here are some experiment results as of today with a brand new unit, I will try to make it short.

1. As I said previously, Pix4D Capture is not yet to it (won’t let it fly). For now we need to wait as Holden says.

2. In the meanwhile, instead of flying manually, what about flying with simple waypoints? Unfortunately, DJI Go does not allow offline waypoints creation (need to be flying to them before). Litchi ( https://flylitchi.com )can do that and they have a beta version for Android and IOS for those interested in trying it on the Mavic 2. It is pretty cumbersome creating them manually but is works. Once you have them, you can start a mission and fly along this manually created flight plan (approximate for sure). Oups, I forgot: you need to put the camera in time lapse mode to trigger the camera while flying.

3. The photo’s EXIF data presents another problem: first, the altitude is wrong, it is a negative value with an outstanding number of digits equal to the above ground altitude, probably expressed in microns (!!!). Second, Pix4D has problems digesting the Lat-Lon and seems to disperse the photos in 4 blocks about 500m from each other. I had to extract them with a batch image editing software (Graphic Converter on a Mac) and create a CSV file that Pix4D can then apply correctly.

Camera parameters are already in Pix4D:  L1D-20c_10.3_5472x3648 (RGB). You can refine its parameters once a process is executed with it, and the rolling shutter algorithm seems to do its job ok. Sorry I did not yet check accuracies with centimeter-grade control points.

Hey Andre, thanks for the good info. one question. when you say “Second, Pix4D has problems digesting the Lat-Lon” what do you mean. I would imagine the geotags are in WGS84 (like all other consumer DJI drones). This usually works no problem. can you provide screenshots or an example of the issue you are experiencing?

Yep geotags seem normal WGS84 but probably only you at support can look into the details why Pix4D does not like those tags. I can submit a support ticket you can then follow if you will. I will then be able to provide you guys with screenshots and image sets.

Will do during the weekend.

André

Sounds good. I’ll look into it. Mention my name in the ticket so that it gets routed to me. 

Hi Holden, 

I’m also waiting on the Pix4D compatibility with the Mavic 2 Pro. I started my Pix4D free trial this weekend before realizing Pix4DCapture wouldn’t work. Is there any way to pause or reset the trial countdown until the software is updated? 

Thanks, 

Chad. 

Hi Chad. I will add your comments to the other users that have requested support for the Mavic 2. In the meantime, you can consider capturing images manually for testing purposes. Every trial can be extended once. You can do this once it expires in the license management portal when signed into Pix4D online. 

For anyone looking to discuss the Mavic 2 geotag issue, I have created a separate post for this discussion. see the link below.
https://community.pix4d.com/t/7239-Mavic-2-Incorrect-Geotag 

What are people using as a workaround in the meanwhile while we wait for the software and bug fixes to catch up?

I have managed to get automated imagery using DjiFlightPlanner to plan the flight and the Litchi app to fly the path (which got updated yesterday to support Mavic2). I have guessed at the speed (I used 12km/h, 3 second camera interval and 60m height with 80% overlap) but if anyone has any recommendations for capture speeds it would be very appreciated.

It is my first time doing any of this, but I am certainly seeing a bunch of issues with the final imagery .tiff file and the point cloud has huge gaps with no data.

Any suggestions on settings? I wanted to use a pause to take the photos but the Mavic seems to have a 99 waypoint limitation in the firmware that stops this working at the moment. Because of this I set a timing interval of 4s and flew at 9km/h to try to keep things crisp and a flight height of 200ft (60m or so - the app didint do flight height in metric), then did later flights at 12hm/hr and 3 sec interval.

Still big issues with the location data (as per Holdens links above), and it wasn’t even a consistent error (half the images were offset from the others by 500m or so). Trying to use my GCPs is a nightmare, as the automatic positioning when I import them is out by half the distance to the moon.

Hi all,

From the 08.10.18, Pix4Dcapture V4.1 for iOS has been released together with Mavic Pro 2 support. 

We recommend to process the images using the p4d file generated when downloading the images to the device. 

More info about .p4d file generation here and how to transfer and process images after a mission here.

Best,

Hi all,

From the 18.12.18, Pix4Dcapture V4.5 for Android has been released together with Mavic 2 Pro support. 

Note that the live video stream is not available in this release for Android.

From the 08.10.18, Pix4Dcapture V4.1 for iOS has been released together with Mavic 2 Pro support. 

We recommend processing the images using the p4d file generated when downloading the images to the device. 

More info about .p4d file generation here and how to transfer and process images after a mission here.

Best,

Afternoon

When can we expect the Android version and will it be for the Mavic 2 Zoom as well?

Thank you

1 Like

for android? Date?

Hi Hendrik and Christian,

For the moment, we do not have any date for the release of the Mavic 2 Pro support on Android, it is still in progress.
Also, it is not in our pipeline for the moment to support the Mavic 2 Zoom with Pix4Dcapture.

Best,

I am expecting the app for android too. I expect you can release it soon.

Hi,

My Mavic 2 Pro setup is just missing the Pix4D Capture for android to get to work. Is the support for Mavic 2 Pro on Android progressing well ?

Best regards.

Hi Enrique and Yannick,

For the moment, we can not provide any date for the release of the Mavic 2 Pro support on Android, it is still in progress.
Be reassured that as soon as the support will be released for the Mavic 2 Pro on Android, we will communicate about it.

Best,

Desperately waiting for one of the major companies to produce the Android version. Would prefer it to be you guys

Hi Mitchell. Thanks for the feedback and glad you’re looking to use Pix4D. Were on it and hope to bring it to you soon. I have passed in your words of motivation to our capture developers. Thanks!

Hey Lovely People,

I now have my Mavic pro up and running and jobs that need doing waiting to be done. Pix3d is also my preferred option.

How are you getting on?