"Invalid or Unsupported Image File" when trying to open tiff in AutoCad 2017

Hey Gaetanocosimo, 

I am sorry to hear that. I would like to have a look at your project. 

Could you please send us the Quality Report, the log file and the Orthomosaic through a sharable link? 

Have you tried loading the tiles? Are you receiving the same error? 

hi, it is possible to send you directly? I cannot share here…

Hey,

There is no problem from our side, whatever is more convenient to you. 

please tell me your email so I could send you a wetransfer

I have opened the ticket for you so that you can share the files with us. 

Hello everyone. I was in contact with Gaetanocosimo and the same workflow worked for his files. I will copy it here as well. 

1. Open the mosaic in Irfanview. 
  2. Click File > Save as…
  3. Save as Type: TIF 
  4. On the TIFF save options window select LZW
  5. Click Save. 
  6. Open the LZW tiff file in AutoCAD. 

Hi there,

I’ve also had this issue a few times and found there are a couple issues that come up when compressing using Irfanview.

1. The transparency layer gets destroyed. This can be very important depending on the job. I’ve had to open a TIFF in photoshop and delete the background in order to get the transparent background back. That’s two extra software’s needed.

2. The geo-tagged information also gets destroyed. I have used the georefimg lisp in C3D as a workaround however this is not at all ideal.

There is one tile in my orthomosaic that doesn’t seem to want to merge “naturally” and I have a strong feeling this is where all the problems are coming from.

Still hoping for some sort of fix in the future.

Hi all. 

When opening the orthofiles from Pix4D in Irfanview, and saving as Marili instructed; i get Save Tif error. 

Please advice. The integration with Autocad GIS is the reason we are interested in Pix4D 

Martin, Did you load the AutoCAD lisp routine named GEOrefIMG? This is what fixed it for me. 

I am having the exact same issues as David Barrow. Projection information is lost when saving in Irfanview. We are trying to bring into microstation. Saving as an .IMG in arcgis only solution I have found so far but the file size is still extremely large.

Same ordeal.

Even with following the above instructions for Infranview.

I still get the error. 

Downloading Qgis now.

Not holding my breath though

As if my problems with Pix4D could get any worse. I have some lovely images that I can see on my (super expensive new workstation, bought only for this program) but nothing I can share with anyone who wants to see it. QGIS is great, I can overlay DTM contours over the orthomosaic, what I can’t do is share these files with any of my clients. Irfanview does not work as Marili suggests, I get the same errors as Martin. 

I’ve rarely seen a company over-promise and under-deliver like Pix4D. Any of you remember the slick marketing video they have no their home page with the cool visualization of the contour fly-through? Have any of you managed to achieve that?

I thought not. What a waste of time, effort and money. I’m so disappointed with this outfit. Not as elegant as my Swiss watches, that’s for sure.

@Santiago have you tried the workflow suggested in this post? 

Have you tried importing the tiles? Do you see the same error? 

@Jaimie could you please share the orthomosaic file with us? 

The issue seems to be related to the file size that Autocad supports. Can you open the file in QGIS for example? 

As an alternative, since you would like to share your project, you can also use Pix4D Cloud. Have you tried it already? 

@Marili, I can open the file in QGIS and have to do that in any case to add in the contour lines, because Pix4DMapper does not support that, for some reason. Within QGIS, I cannot then export the orthomosaic with contour overlay to AutoCAD since the export is read only.

My requirement is pretty straightforward, to create an orthomosaic with Pix4D and overlay contour lines from the DTM. I then want to export that into AutoCAD for landscape designers, groundworks engineers and architects to be able to work with. So far, this simple requirement has evaded me. Few people I know use AutoCAD Civil, which might work with this but since I don’t have a license for that it’s hard to tell.

@jaimie Brown,

I use Civil 3D 2018, and if you take a look at who posted on March 12…you will see C3D has the same issue. 

However, it solely depends on the size of the ortho.

IF its under a certain size then i use a Lisp routine - Georefimg and bada bing, its on the screen.

If its over that size, no amount of screwing around with it will get it to import.

I downloaded QGIS. followed the posted steps. 

Still no luck.

I think I was able to get it to work once previously by changing the ortho into a jpeg and changing the extension of one of the project files.

Ill have to go back and see how I did it previously

1 Like

@Jason Carignan,

I had a similar post about processing and Mark Blacklin was enormously helpful:

https://community.pix4d.com/t/6220-DXF-Contour-Lines-misaligned-in-AutoCAD-Civil

It seems there is a size limit of 500MB for orthos so you may want to bite the bullet and get a copy of Global Mapper or similar.

Good luck!

Ok, I was just having the same problems with Irfanview. I’m on a new computer. It worked several months ago for me on a different computer. I’m now on a different computer. The good news is that I think I just got it to work! At least for me it’s now working, I’m seeing a beautiful tif image in AutoCAD.

Here is what I did:

I simply saved the tif image under a new name. I still got the error message, but Irfanview did create a new tif image. I was able to load this new image into AutoCAD Civil 3D using the mapiimage command. Also for the index files, I saved the originals in a new folder and I also renamed those to the same name as the image. I’m guessing that the image name and the index files need to have the same name. (The prj and tfw files) I’m not sure if both of those index files are used by AutoCAD or just one, it was easier to simply rename both of them. So for instance if my tif image was saved under the new name image.tif, the index files will also be called image.prj and image.tfw.

Of course you also need to have the lisp routine Georefimg in your AutoCAD. 

https://www.cadstudio.cz/georefimg

Use the link on the very bottom right for AutoDesk (have to sign in). It will automatically put it where it needs to go. The link on the bottom left is a zip file and takes more steps to install.

In a previous project, I uploaded a 2GB tif image. I’m not sure if there is a 500MB limit. Maybe it depends on which version of AutoCAD you have. I’m using AutoCAD Civil 3D 2018.

Thank you Ty Brady for your detailed workflow! I was able to successfully reference my TIF file using Civil 3D 2017. I just wanted to mention a few minor differences for me when I did it.

One thing to note first is when doing the Save As in Infranview. I selected the “none” option under the TIFF save options, save compression. Yes, this turned my 501mb file into a 1.7gb file but it works so I’m fine with it. 

I did get the Georefimg lisp installed using the instructions above, worked great! Although I assume it is running in the background because I had no interaction with it during the actual image referencing. 

When I got into Civil 3D I tried using the mapiimage command and it seems like this is no longer a command? I think it may have changed to MAPIIMAGEDEFINE? Anyway, I ended up using the MAPIINSERT command which I have used in the past for all aerial image referencing. 

I should mention that I renamed the *.prj and *.tfw files to the new *.tif file name and put them in their own folder before he MAPIINSERT.

It took a good 3 min. or so to bring the image in with the typical Autodesk “frozen” screen so you couldn’t tell if it was really doing something, but it was! 

So there you have my thoughts on it, glad I got it working!

Also, wanted to mention that all of my orthomosaics for this road project I am working on have been under the 500mb “threshold” until the most recent came in at 501mb. The others referenced in with no problems from the start. 

I do not think the file size is the issue.

If you have Global Mapper, open ortho and then export as raster/image format with 24 bit color.

Then use mapiinsert (if use Autocad 3d map), the image comes in as should.  File will be a bit smaller than the original but not by much.  I have been told the issue is Pix4d uses 64bit instead of 32bit processing above a certain file size ( around 400-500meg), the 64bit processing Autocad does not recognize.