Damaged, Corrupted, or too large of a TIFF export

Anyone else had an issue of the TIFF’s being bad files when exporting from react?

I flew a repeat mission yesterday (I have flown the same missions for several days to show the progress of a job) and haven take the same pictures over several of the days. I tried to combine the files (successfully) and export them as a TIFF, but can’t get the tiff to read on any other program or device.

Several attempts to create the TIFF have also failed to be re-opened later.

If anyone has any suggestions on how I can salvage the TIFF form the project I am all ears. (the jpg screen s hot works fine but I would prefer the TIFF for obvious image resolution reasons).

Thanks in advance,
-Lance L.

Hi @lance.liggett, Did you try softwares like QGIS? Can you let us know which softwares have you tried for viewing the tif file?

In all of the previous flight missions, I was able to open the TIFF in the standard windows picture viewer. I am now unable to open the file in any of the programs I have attempted to open it with (Photoshop, windows programs, ect.) I have not tried to open the file in any GIS specific program but can reach out to our GIS people to see if they have something that can open the file.

As an update: I have flown a second missions today and am still unable to generate the tiff file in anything but a corrupted state.

In thinking back I think the problem began when I did the update to the software version 1.1.0

We have not heard from users about this and also could not reproduce from our side. The tif files (ortho or DSM) normally have floating data type and somes are too big to be opened by windows viewer. However, you should be able to open it in QGIS. If not, I would recommend you to write a support ticket to us using contact support at the top of this page. We will be glad to help.

You can also have a look at this post: Large Tif File - Mosiac - #3 by Greg_Campbell1

I’ve had the same problem trying to send geotiff’s to clients. Using Google Drive or Microsoft OneDrive, the files received by the client are corrupt. Are there any tricks to sharing geotiffs that I don’t know about? My guess is that these apps compress the files and therefore damage the metadata.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

You can easily create checksum (sfv/md5 or similar) file. Your clients can then easily verify the files received.

1 Like

Is it a common problem for geotiffs to become corrupt when sending via share sites?

Never had any problems.

I suggest you make sure all files related to the GeoTIFF file are attached (tif, tfw, prj)

Hi everyone, I have also problem with Geotif generated by Pix4Dmapper. I can only open it with Qgis and then I save as Raw Image with high compression. But without this change when we want to archive the Geotif we face the Geotif Pix4D format is not standard. My IT officer notice that the size tag is missing in the Pix4D Geotif and not only this tag.
May be Pix4D can upgrade their Geotif to the standard ?
Regards.

Hi lionel.fadin,
Can you tell us what version of PIX4Dmapper you are using? I would highly suggest keeping your support and upgrade current in order to use the latest version of PIX4Dmapper.

We are using the 4.6.4 Educational Version. Can you insure me that the last stable version is able to product a correct Geotif with all the tag ?
The way we archived our Geotif is based on the capability to read automatically a Geotif by a software.
This software can read and accept only standard Geotif. That’s mean if we have to open the Geotif in Qgis and save it as represent a lot of work.
Regards

Are you trying to open your .tiffs in the windows image viewer? If so, it has limitations and cannot handle large files.