How to get 48MP images with DJI Mini 3 Pro

I used Pix4D Capture Pro for the first time yesterday. I used “Build A” to support the SDK for my DJI Mini 3 Pro.

I was impressed.

I could not figure out how to configure the mission so that it used the full 48 MP capability on the Mini 3 Pro camera. The photos were all 12 MP.

Would someone please explain how to use Pix4D Capture Pro to use 48 MP images on the Mini 3 Pro?

Thank you!

Hi Joe,

Thank you for letting Pix4D know that you were happy with the new DJI Mini 3 Pro compatibility.

To obtain the 48MP images, you need to activate this setting in the DJI Fly app before switching to PIX4Dcapture Pro. As long as it is enabled in DJI Fly before force-closing DJI Fly, it will be enabled once you launch PIX4Dcapture Pro. Here is the workflow:

1. Power on the drone and controller. Connect your mobile device with PIX4Dcapture Pro to the DJI RC N1 controller.
  2. Open DJI Fly and connect to your drone.
  3. While connected to the drone, change the camera settings to 48MP.
  4. Force close DJI Fly (Settings>Apps>Apps>DJI Fly>Force close) while connected to the drone.
  5. Open PIX4Dcapture Pro.
  6. Plan and execute the mission with 48MP imagery.

I hope that helps explain the workflow. Once you have done it once or twice, it becomes more natural.

Best,
Ryan

Excellent Ryan - thank you!

I had tried something like this setting the drone camera to 48MP, but I didn’t know about the “force quit” step, I’ll follow your instructions and report.

On a related note - I got the impression that Pix4D Capture Pro adjusts the maximum forward speed so that there is time to store the image on the SD card. I don’t know if it takes longer to store a 48MP image. Do you know if Pix4D Capture Pro takes note of the image size when computing the max forward speed?

Lastly, do you know if Pix4D Capture Pro uses the 48MP setting to calculate the reported GSD?

Many thanks!

Ryan -

One more quick question -

After changing the camera to 48MP in the DJI Fly app, and then doing the “force close” in the Settings app, the DJI Fly app will still appear as an open app when viewing the running apps from the main android screen.

Should I leave it there? Or swipe it up to close it?

There is a warning to not run Pix4D Capture Pro with other drone apps open such as DJI Fly. But perhaps after the “force stop” in settings, it’s OK (and in this case, necessary) to leave it alone on the home screen.

Many thanks!

Hi Joe,

I just spoke with the developers and learned that, actually, apart from the DJI Fly App, it is not possible to use the 48MP of the DJI Mini 3 Pro. So, PIX4Dcapture Pro is only compatible with the 12MP camera since DJI does not allow the 48MP to be used by an external App.
My apologies, I did not know that either… I must say I am a bit disappointed as well.
So you can ignore what I said above about changing the camera. This also means that it doesn’t make a difference for the flight time nor the GSD either.

That being said, it is still best to force close DJI Fly before opening PIX4Dcapture Pro so that there is not a conflict between the two apps for controlling the drone.

Sorry about that. I just learned the hard way as well.

Ryan - thank you so much for investigating this for me - I really appreciate it!

Could you please help me find out if this limitation is limited to the DJI Mini 3 Pro - or if other DJI drones have this limitation too?

I’m guessing it has to do with the hardware/software limitations that are imposed by the SDK - the same thing that requires the app to use “virtual sticks” instead of a native/autonomous mission running on the drone.

I don’t mind using “virtual sticks” - but it does mean that if the app hangs, the drone will not continue it’s mission. (This has happened to me once - I was able to recover by canceling Pix4D Capture Pro, and then starting up the DJI Fly app, and returning to home.

Knowing the restrictions and limitations of Pix4D Capture Pro with the DJI drone models can help me decide what’s the best drone to use.

Many thanks! Joe

Hi Joe,

I am not sure if this limitation applies to other DJI drones or not. I work mainly with Mini drones so that I can fly just about anywhere.

In terms of the best drone for the job, that will depend on many factors that I cannot give you a good answer for. The most important is that you are abiding by all applicable regulations. More than that, it will depend on what you want to do and the available resources. What I can recommend is that if you want to use PIX4Dcapture Pro, then be sure to use a drone that is on this list: https://support.pix4d.com/hc/en-us/articles/8946053605149-Supported-drones-cameras-and-controllers-PIX4Dcapture-Pro.

Best,
Ryan