Forward speed limited by time for camera to save image

After some success using Pix4D Capture Pro on my DJI Mini 3 Pro, I bought a used DJI Mavic 2 Pro so I could try out mapping with it’s 20MP 1" sensor camera.

I wasn’t too surprised that Pix4D Capture Pro restricted mission groundspeed for higher forward overlaps - as I presumed that it planned missions to ensure there was time for the image to be stored on the SD card.

But I was surprised to find that Pix4D Capture Pro had similar groundspeed restrictions on the Mavic 2 Pro.

My experience with mapping missions using ArduPilot and Mission Planner show that missions flown at about 60 meters and 6 or 7 meters per second require a photo ever 0.8 seconds. Typical Sony mirrorless cameras (RX0, RX100, A5100, A6100) can all reliably record images at that interval.

Of course it took some testing to determine that image frequency of 0.8 seconds was a speed that the camera could successfully record images.

Pix4D Capture Pro doesn’t appear to allow such trials - and perhaps arbitrarily restricts ground speed to ensure image recording on the drone’s SD card. But the slow ground speeds suggest allowing 1.5 to 2.0 seconds per image.

I doubt the more advanced cameras on the Mini 3 Pro or the Mavic 2 Pro have such limitations.

If there is a way to override the groundspeed limitations, I’d appreciate information on how to do so.

If not - I highly recommend Pix4D Capture Pro be improved to show the calculated image interval speed - and allow the operator to conduct their own testing to find the highest reliable ground speed.

Thank you.

Hi @joe.stroup,

Please note that for Still Photography, the DJI Mini 3 Pro is limited to 2/3/5/7/10/15/20/30/60 s intervals for timed photography:

Daniele