Higher resolution+Less pictures or Lower resolution+More pictures

Good morning,

We are currently trying to determine wether to use a camera with a complex drone (higher resolution: 36 mpx, less pictures), o a more simple opperating drone (lower resolution: 20 mpx).

In order to adquire the same results in GCP we would need to flight the small drone lower and take more pictures.

What processing time would be faster for pix4dmapper. Higher resolution + less pictures or lower resolution + more pictures?

Thank you

Hi @jr.biology,

It’s a very good question. However, I’m afraid that I won’t be able to answer it as we’d have to do some analyses before. Until now we haven’t done such a test in our office. Yet, maybe some of our customers, researchers can share their findings.

Regards

I would suspect if the gigapixels are the same (no. of photos X camera megapixels), then the project with fewer photos would be slightly faster. My reasoning is that there are fewer cameras (photos) to calibrate, so that processing time should be faster. Other benefits to a higher resolution camera is that you will fly higher to obtain the same ground sample distance as the lower resolution camera, which will reduce flight time. Also, each frame will cover more area, so it will be easier to calibrate each image because there will be more features contained in a single image. In addition, a higher resolution camera typically means a larger sensor and better quality lens, which will result in higher quality images. Better images equals better accuracy in Pix4D.

Overall, a higher quality camera results in a better product from Pix4D.

1 Like