FLIR Duo Pro R

Dear Pix4d Team!

Do you have any timeline for the support of FLIR Duo Pro R (http://www.flir.com/suas/duopro/)

It seems like an excellent product for combined infrared/rgb data acquisition, but without processing support (camera rig etc.) I am not sure how much useful it is.

Thanks,

Balint

1 Like

Hi Balint,

For the moment, we cannot give any timeline, however, even though the camera is a rig you could try to process both datasets individually and then merge them as per the instructions that are givenhere.

Have a good day,

Ina

2 Likes

Dear Ina!

Thanks, for the answer, we are waiting eagerly to have native support for it. In the meantime we recorded some footage with it, so if you need independent dataset to fine tune the processing toolchain please feel free to use it: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/10spStw_FTZeHYB5LB4JJ1JX5s4cADvXj

Best Regards,

Balint

1 Like

Hi Balint,

Thanks for sharing the data. I will test it from my side and I will let you know here how it went :slight_smile:

Cheers,

Ina

Hi Balint,

A lot of the images from the one you have sent are empty, could you upload them again?

Thanks,

Ina

Dear Ina,

I re-uploaded them to Google Drive:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1nFa3cu0h7lxoVJW1tBKJgu_NQw1m5XxN?usp=sharing

I hope you can access them now.

Best,

Balint

Hi Balint,

This is an update information as I am still processing your dataset. So far I have no successful job since the model turns out to be extremely bent. 

Cheers,

Ina

Dear Ina!

I tried it with standard (not alternative) calibration process and I got fairly reasonable results. Of course, adding RGB - infra rig would boost the efficiency and the precision.

Cheers,

Balint

Hi Balint,

I have found the issue. The pixel size is wrongly assigned when is read from EXIF. Please make sure that for both projects you edit the camera model and set the correct pixel size. I am not sure for the RGB but for the thermal camera, it should be 17 (see screenshot below). 

After changing the pixel size run step 1 and then if the difference between optimized and initial internal camera parameters is high then opt for All Prior.

Also, I highly recommend cleaning the dataset of the images from taking off and landing since they bring a lot of noise (see cameras highlighted in red in the screenshot below).

As per the rig as mentioned before at the moment I cannot give any time line.

Cheers,

Ina

Hi Balint

I’m also interested in this camera and consider buying one, may I ask you  whether you finally managed to generate a “FLIR map”, an IR orthomosaic on top of the RGB mosaic?

Also, am I allowed to download the images you provided for Pix4D we well, is the set of (RGB and IR) images complete?

Kind regards
Reto

Dear Reto!

The link might have expired, but please feel free to download it. In case you want, I can share another dataset. The process looks much smoother than before (we were not really successful with Flir Vue Pro). 

Best,

Balint

Hi Balint

Thanks a lot for your kind response.

If you could provide a good dataset, maybe together with the project / pix4d file, that would be optimal. Like that I could learn how to properly set up and process a FLIR project based on raw images taken with the FLIR Duo Pro R. 

I suppose there are always two sets of images, RGB and IR, right?

Best,
Reto

Hi Reto, hi Balint,

If possible please follow the procedure given here for calibration of the lens of a new camera and soon you finished the procedure you could share the project and the dataset with us so we could add it to our database.

For this you will need a good dataset with the following properties:

• Enough images (80 - 100 images).
  • High overlap and rich texture.
  • If possible, acquired with a grid flight plan.
  • If possible, with GCPs.

Cheers,

Ina

Hi Ina

Unfortunately I have no such camera yet, but once I do, I will remember.

Thanks a lot.
Reto

Hi Balint

Do you think there is a FLIR dataset you could provide, if possible together with the pix4d project, such that I can have a look how the RGB+IR data has been processed? 

Would be great.

Best regards
Reto

Hi Balint

Are you still around?

Best
Reto

Hi Reto,

I am sorry, I just collected a new dataset and played with the processing. I will share it with you soon.

Best, 

Balint

No problem Balint and thanks a lot, already.
No hurry.

Best
Reto

1 Like

We are working together with Balint on making FLIR Duo PRO R based orthomosaics. A sample from one of our latest flights can be downloaded from here: https://we.tl/31ukBsgYrJ

Hi Gabor

Great news, thanks a lot for providing this data set.

Beside the “raw” images, would it also be possible to provide information about the Pix4Dmapper processing, the project setup, for example? I would like to reproduce the processing to better understand how to actually create FLIR maps with Pix4D. The easiest might be the Pix4Dmapper project file, I suppose.

Best regards
Reto