flight speed

hello everyone,

I am using phantom 4 pro. flying 90 m altitude double grid mission. my site area is 100m*250m. I am choosing fastest option all the time.

what i would like to ask, is there any benefits to fly as slower as possible? can i have better images? or doesn’t matter what speed i have, its taking same quality of images?

Thanks for your support

Hi Yunus,

The maximum flight speed is optimal for processing the images later on if you fly above 100 meters, as a rough approximation.

If you fly lower, you can slightly reduce the speed depending on what is in the area to map (e.g. with buildings). If the terrain is flat, flying at 50 meters at maximum speed is expected to be fine.

Note that the closer to the ground, the slower the recommended speed as images will be more affected by the drone moving.

Hi Julie

thanks  it was very helpful explanation. 

Can i ask you one more thing? after all process in the ray cloud is it possible to take a snapshot? arrange my require view and save the that viewport?

Best

You can of course take a screenshot of the rayCloud view (e.g. Snipping tool in Windows). You can also export the densified point cloud (resulting from step 2) and the textured mesh. Just make sure to select the desired format before running step 2 (more info).

Also for sharing purposes, you can upload and process your images on Pix4D Cloud. Once the results are generated, it is possible to share the 3D model and map via a URL link.

appreciated…

Regards

Hi Julie, why is the maximum speed optimal for processing? My height range is usually from 40m up to 90 m and i fly with normal or normal+ speed. I get good results with these settings. But how could the drone speed affect the image processing?

Thanks.  Martin

Hi Martin,

The maximum speed depends on the selected overlap and flight altitude. The scale has several levels corresponding to percentages of the maximum speed. The speed should fluctuate between 2 and 8 m/s for copters and is not constant during the flight since the drone slows down to trigger pictures.

Below 100 meters, it is better to decrease the speed a bit because if the drone flies too fast for the altitude, images can be blurry and/or have distortions related to the rolling shutter of the camera.

Hi Julie,

thanks for your explanations. I did not recognize that the drone slows down. Is it the same in safe and fast trigger mode? I have never tried the safe trigger mode…

There is another (very small) issue that i have noticed, which is indirectly related to the drone speed: it seems to me, that the drone flies the track more accurate (since a few months). And it looks to me, that it takes longer for the rotation at the end of a track, the way to the next track and the rotation into the direction of this track. Is this right? I have got the feeling, that it costs more battery power than some months ago.

Hi Martin,

On iOS, you can indeed choose between the Safe (drone stops to take pictures) and Fast (drone slows down) picture trigger mode. Check out this article section for more details. We usually recommend the Safe mode, as you more easily risk getting blurry images in the Fast mode.
On Android, you cannot chose the picture trigger mode. The drone will slow down for each picture, not stop.

And thank you for your feedback about the drone’s flight. It is good news that you find the path more accurate. 
However, there were no changes regarding this recently, so we actually do not expect the drone to fly the track more accurately. Also, it may happen randomly that the drone takes more time to start the next line. It should not happen often therefore it is not a critical factor for battery consumption.

hello again, i feel so lucky that topic is still active and seems so many experienced person attended.

I am having a flight mission once in a week. last 3 weeks i am trying to change some default settings like speed, angle and overlap. Also I am preparing my flight plan in the office and saving as a project. Unfortunately all these 3 weeks i had same problem. ı did all steps, all was fine, start mission, follow the route but did not take any pic. I tried several times but none of them was successful. Finally i am creating the route again choosing all default settings (because somehow i have to complete mission for my job ı can not spend all day with try) start again and its working. Do you have any idea what can be the problem? i am using phantom 4 pro, choosing double grid mission at 90 meter altitude. Also today i had an interesting experience, actually it was a quite stressful. There is a tower crane with 953 m altitude, and i arrange my flight 956m altitude. Drone just stop itself in safe mode on the crane. Do you know what is the distance for obstacle? Or how accurate the altitude of drone GPS calculating?

I know it was a long text and so many issues but your support will be appreciated as always…

Thanks

Hi Yunus,

We are happy you find the community helpful :slight_smile:

About the camera not taking any pictures
For optimal experience with Pix4Dcapture, we recommend proceeding with basic checks. This article helps users to troubleshoot app issues in most cases. About the camera check, I would suggest having a look at this community post for more information. Also, you can click  Follow  at the top to be notified when there are new comments.

About flight height:
By default, the limiting height on Android is 150 m for all drones, but this can be extended to 500 m if the advanced pilot mode is activated for flying. On iOS, the limiting height is 500 m by default. 
Note that we do not recommend to fly too high since connectivity issues might happen. Also, make sure that you respect local laws and that you do not fly higher than allowed by authorities.

The obstacle avoidance is not operational during an autonomous flight, meaning when flying a polygon, grid, double grid, or circular mission with Pix4Dcapture. It is recommended to make sure the flight plan is defined in a clear area and high enough to avoid obstacles.