Support Website Contact Support Blog

Export files in .tif (Not .tiff)

Some of our secondary software will only use .tif files. Can Pix4DMatic export .tif files instead of .tiff

Hello,
There is no difference between TIF and TIFF. They both are extensions used by the Tagged Image File Format (TIFF), which is used in storing images like photos. You see TIF being used in a lot of older applications that were created prior to long filenames going mainstream. Basically, the data is the same but the extension was shortened due to limitations with the code. I believe you can simply change the file extension from .TIFF to .TIF. In the folder where the image lives right click on it and change the name.

Thanks Mike for the quick response. We can change the extension to .tif but doing 200+ tiles is time consuming. If would be preferred if we could have the option to export in the format we need.

We also lost our ESPG code reference on most of the tile .tif files. Some tiles had the correct CRS but the software errored on those .tif tiles that did not have the code which is out 200 tiles was about 175. I wasn’ t sure if that data was lost when we changed the file extension.

@irondronecrew thanks for the feedback. What third party software needs .tif instead of .tiff? This will help to better understand the context of your request. Thanks!

I’m adding @irondronecrew 's workaround here for people who’re looking for a workaround: Convert .tiff files to .tif