Does not take pictures, error of "Aim device at a surface with more texture or color"

Whenever I try to start recording, and often even beforehand, I get the error in the title (Aim device at a surface with more texture or color) which stays in place until another error message pops up and returns immediately afterwards. This occurs regardless of what I am trying to capture, whether it’s indoors or outdoors, and so on. Whenever I am able to find a spot that doesn’t immediately trigger it, I can only ever record exactly one picture before the error starts. Any help is appreciated.

Hi Zachary,

Welcome to the community!

Can you please share:

• device make/model
  • PIX4Dcatch app version
  • OS version
  • Log files - If any of the mentioned projects were able to generate a log please send
  • screenshot or video of the error

The error (Aim device at a surface with more texture or color) should occur when the app senses imagery that is insufficient in texture. With it appearing regardless of content, my initial thoughts go towards the device’s camera. In the meanwhile please double-check internal settings to be sure all is functioning normally with it, and that 3rd party apps like ours can access it. With the above information, we can provide more focused advice.

How to export log:

I look forward to your reply.

Regards,

-Jon

My device is a moto x4 on Android version 9, and the app version is 1.11.0.

Here are the log files:
logfile.log (86.9 KB)
logfile_1.log (24.2 KB)
logfile_2.log (8.6 KB)
logfile_3.log (6.7 KB)

Thank you for the help.

Hi Zachary,

As it turns out this error originates from ARCore and not from our app. While there is not a lot we can do in cases like these, I can offer a few suggestions.

Whenever I am able to find a spot that doesn’t immediately trigger it, I can only ever record exactly one picture before the error starts.

In this instance, are you able to confirm that the image was saved? Can you send a screenshot of the DETAILS window from this project?

Please let us know how it goes.

Regards,

-Jon

I checked Google Play Store and my version of ARCore seems to be up to date. I have also reinstalled Pix4DCatch multiple times without anything changing, and I got similar issues with an AR ruler app.

The image does seem to have saved with an accurate position on the map.