DJI Mavic 2 Enterprise Dual

I would like to know if is it possible to do thermal orthomosaic with “DJI Mavic 2 Enterprise Dual”.

Thanks for answer and tips.

1 Like

Hi Leo, 

The “DJI Mavic 2 Entreprise Dual” carries a FLIR Lepton thermal micro-camera which not supported in our camera database.

Processing-thermal-images

For thermal processing it is recommended  to have a minimum sensor resolution of 640x480.
However the sensor resolution of the thermal camera on the Mavic 2 Dual is 160 x 120 which is not enough.

Nevertheless, you have the opportunity to test such drone we would interested to hear your feedback as we have not been able to try it.

Best, 

We just acquired a M2E Dual, and would like to try out this feature, but I’m unsure of how to properly set up a manual camera with the right setttings, since the M2E is not an officially supported device by Pix4D Capture. Can you offer any assistance? Thanks!

Hi Ryan,

After this answer we did not buy this drone. Unfortunately, we can not help you with this…

Léo

Hi @Ryan,

I sincerely doubt that you can get satisfactory results as the image resolution of the thermal camera is low.
However if you really want to try, upload your images in Pix4D. The software should be able to recognize that it is thermal images.
If not you can “Estimate from EXIF” in the camera model edition window. However values might be wrong and you would to correct it manually. 

I can also recommend you to have a look on our thermal example project.

Hope this will help.
Best,

Hi, I have been experimenting with my Mavic 2 Enterprise (Dual) and managed to produce this thermal image using Pix4D Desktop 3.0.18 After upgrading to Pix4D Desktop 4.5.6 thing did not work as well!!

Hi @jtpa, Can you send us the images (upload in google drive or Pix4D cloud) and the quality reports from both the versions? You can write us a personal support ticket as well.

Hi,

Unfortunately I don’t have the quality reports on this PC. Here are the raw Mavic 2 Duel IR photos used to create the dataset. I believe the camera parameters must have changed in the later ver. of Pix4d which would explain why processing now fails? I processed using ti IR template.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1G3tZdZA7kvgcB7TrfTZhB8slSRnDVsaw

Best,

Jim.

Hi Jim, Since this camera is not in our database, we read it from the EXIF of the images and the exif parameters cannot change if its the same dataset. Also, We highly recommend using tif or rjpeg images for thermal, these are normal jpg images. Also, You need to make sure you are using the correct focal length and pixel size. You should be able to get the parameters in DJI website.

Thanks Momtanu,

I manually entered as you advised and I can again produce acceptable results from the camera.

Thanks you very much for your help,

Jim.

1 Like

Hi @jtpa,

May I ask you to share your results if there are not confidential?
Just a screen shot or the quality report would be enough.

I would be interested into seeing how the calibration went.

Thanks!
Best

Yes, certainly,

The flight path was awful but I was interested to see if I could get it to stich.

Best regards,

Jim.

ir_report.pdf (1.42 MB)

ir.log (2.33 MB)

Jim, great to see it worked. Thank you for letting us know :slight_smile:

HI,

That looks great! tried with another project to see if it is repeatable?

We are very interested in the Mavic enterprise version, If using the pix4d planning mode can it take a thermal Image and normal image at the same time?

Why is mentioned resolution 640x480 instead of the Mavic dual camera 160x120 resolution?

Hi @goran.vizintin
I don’t know where you have seen this. But as shown above from the DJI website the M2E has a thermal resolution of 160x120.

Best

Hi Marco!

Thx for fast replay!

Yes I know, but look in the ir_report.pdf, there you will see that default camera settings is 640x480! If I understood right the ir_report.pdf is made with Mavic dual, so I would aspect the 160x120, maybe I’m wrong.

Sincerely yours!

Goran

It seems FC2403_0.0_640x480 is the Mavic 2 Enterprise Dual - Thermal camera. DJI website says that the sensor res is 160x120 but the image size can either be 640×480 (4:3) or 640×360 (16:9). Below is the EXIF from one of Jim’s image

1 Like

Ok, it makes sense. Thank you for the explanation!

1 Like

Hi Jim,
Great to hear you get a plausible ortophoto from thermal Mavic 2 Dual!
I would like to know if the pixels values on this image are in Celsius degree, and if yes, how you got they.
Thanks,
Magna