Custom Machine build

Hi, i have recently built a machine using AMD 5900x and a 3070 GPU but the GPU only was used 3% to 30% of the time and mostly at 5%. The CPU was pegged at 100% all cores when building the image. Under your best option i see the threadripper 3070 cpu as the best option. I’m trying to do a cost analysis looking at AMD Ryzen, Epyc, and Threadripper cpu and the bus speed for better through put. Do you have specs on theses processors with your software or is it hit and miss? Do you want any for future reference?

On the other hand i have used two new GPU’s the 3060 and 3070 but have not seen good any performance with it as the GPU is mostly at 5% all the time. Do i need to use PNY Quadro RTX 5000 Single-Fan 16GB GDDR6 PCIe 3.0 Graphics Card to see better performance?

Thank you

Hi @carls,

In Pix4D, we do not test the hardware performance.
However, Puget systems does it. They have a lot of interesting articles that might interest you. Also, keep in mind that the different processing steps use the resources in different ways. Even within a step, it happens that some small instructions need to be completed, which cannot be paralleled, and therefore it will not use the full resources. Hardware components usage when processing with Pix4Dmapper is detailed here.

Cheers!

Unless you routinely process very large projects (>2,000, high resolution images), the best bang for your buck right now is the AMD Ryzen 5950X and nVidia RTX 3070. As you increase in number of images and/or image resolution, the higher core-count Threadrippers become faster. The TR3990x is about 5% faster than the 3970x with a 2,000 42mp image project. But it costs twice as much.

Read this article from Puget Systems.

I currently use a dual AMD Epyc 7302 (3.0ghz 16 cores each). I process very very large projects (up to 20,000 42mp images) so I have 384gb of memory. I wish I had more cores, but this workstation performs well.

1 Like

Thanks, i was looking at the Epyc chips and motherboards but figured i try the Threadripper 3990 first. I tried the 3070 and it toped out at 13% so that seamed to be a waste to me.

What is the largest project (number of images and megapixels each) you need to process?

Right now i’m just playing and testing but it 400-500 images and each are 8MB.