[Android] Pix4Dcapture lagging / Bug report

Hello.

This pertains Pix4D Capture version 4.3.0 (Build 1741) with a P4, and Android 5.1.1 in a Samsung Galaxy Tab A (7 inches).  All firmwares supposedly are up to date. 

The issue is:  when flying a grid mission the telemetry from the vehicle in the app starts to lag behind the actual flight path and the shutter audio signal interrupts, then comes back suddenly in a burst. The mission is eventually completed and all images are captured.  It gets to the point that the drone is landed and is still shown in the air on screen.

I use a Class 10 SanDisk Ultra XC1 64GB MicroSD on board the drone with plenty room available to record the images.   

I captured a short video of the screen during the last flight which I’ll be happy to upload to show.  The problem has been intermittent, but frequent enough to be a nuisance and a concern. 

Thanks!  Best regards.

Hi Hugo,

Thank you for your complete feedback.

Has the behavior you are describing occurred with the previous versions of Pix4Dcapture or has it appeared with the version V4.3.0? 
It would be great if you can upload the video on a drive and share the link in this thread.

When flying, there are several one-time issues that can be related to miscommunication between the Pix4Dcapture and the drone. Sometimes the SDK (set of programming tools for software development to interact with the drone hardware) is not responsive and some delays affect the communication, which blocks the continuity of the mission.

In the first place, we recommend the following procedures in case of unexpected behavior of the drone:

Keep in Mind that Pix4Dcapture is acting as a third-party application so if an unexpected behavior happens during the flight you will always have the possibility to take back manual control of the drone by:

• Changing flight modes
  • Moving the controller’s joysticks.

Also, the latest DJI mobile SDK will be integrated into Pix4Dcapture shortly and it may solve the issue you are encountering from time to time.

Best,

1 Like

Gaël, the problem has happened before, in late 2017 (November-December) we were having problems with the then current version of Pix4D Capture. Then with the release around February 2018 it was resolved until now.  A link to the videoclip is below. Hope it helps.

Thanks for the recommendations, will follow them. Look forward to see this annoyance fixed. Best regards.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a7jsq6ewz6nlkbo/MOV_20180725_0955285.mp4?dl=0 

Hi Hugo,

Thank you for the video, the lag is quite important indeed. This lag is probably due to a communication issue at some point between the drone and the app.
If possible, I would suggest you to try another mobile device to see if you are still experiencing lag with Pix4Dcapture.

Best,

Hi!

I have same issue. I use latest Pix4D app with lenovo tab 4 10 plus (android).

… first is starts to lag while (can not do anything with app), then it crashes.

… two times I have tried and same thing always.

• I uninstalled app and still same…

… I crashes too with polycon mission startup (when I start planner window).

@Erik

This may be a problem related to the specific device you are currently using the application on. What version of Android do you have installed? Are you able to use Pix4Dcapture without lag using another device? See if you experience the same lag while using a different device. 

Cheers,

Josh

I am using the latest Ctrl+Pix4D and Cap apps in the Samsung Galaxy Tab A, and yesterday the first mission of the day went smooth, without any lag or glitch. I was elated, but then the on the second and third missions the lag reappear. :(  

I was able to complete the work plan for the day, but it is troublesome this bug keeps popping up.  I took pains to clean up all uneccessary clutter from the tablet and I have plenty memory available. I am thinking of doing a factory reset on it and start from scratch.

Hi

I have Android Nougat (7.1.1) Lenovo TB-X704L

4Gb memory, 64Gb ROM, Qualcomm Snapdragon 625 CPU

… app gives camera voice high latency and shows them on screen 2-10 seconds later and drone point lagged too.

… when copter comes home (RTH) it cuts off LIVE video (on tablet and DJI Goggles RE). No video on return. Only map view / location, if I do not touch anything on app.

Hi Erik and Hugo,

Thank you for your feedbacks. Hardware can vary a lot when running Android OS and it is impossible to support all different device configurations. Some specific mobile chipset/CPU architecture may probably induce this kind of behavior. It can also be related to the Android version installed on the phone/tablet.

In any case I would suggest:

• To be up to date with the latest versions of drone firmware and Pix4Dcapture (V4.3.2) and Ctrl+DJI.
  • Upgrade the Android version of your mobile phone if possible.
    The procedure below may imply data loss so we recommend to make a backup if there are important data saved. Connect the mobile device and copy the Pix4D folder (Local Storage > Device storage > Pix4D) to your computer.

1. Clear data and clear cache memory of the application

1. Open the Settings application on the Android device.
  2. Scroll the list and tap Apps, Applications or Manage apps.
  3. (optional) On certain devices like Samsung, tap Application Manager.
  4. Scroll the list to find the application.
  5. From the list, tap Storage.
  6. Tap CLEAR DATA and CLEAR CACHE.
  • To see if the issue is linked to the mobile phone/tablet, it would be great to test if the lag can be seen on another device if you have the opportunity.

Best,