Volume calculations are now available in the Pix4D Cloud applications Pix4Dmapper and Pix4Dbim! The feature works both on the 3D model and 2D map view. To calculate a volume, start by selecting the new volume tool:
And start drawing a polygon for the base surface of the volume. The volume will be calculated across the whole area of the polygon. Select the “tick” to complete the polygon.
Once you have a base surface polygon, you can select how the base surface elevation should be determined according to the points of the polygon. By default, we use a triangulation of all the points but you can choose to use the elevation of the lowest/highest point, set a custom elevation and more. As you change the settings or the polygon itself, you should be able to preview the base surface in the 3D view.
Here are the base surface options you can choose:
- Fit Plane
In case you’re wondering which base surface is recommended to measure your volume, take a look at this support article:
When you are happy with your base surface, click the “Calculate Volume” button to trigger the volume calculation.
We will load all the necessary data and calculate the volume for you, displaying the results in the property inspector when done. Any changes you make to the base surface should automatically trigger a new calculation and update the results.
To make sure you are calculating the volume you expect, we display a 3D representation of the volume surface with blue areas representing fill volume (below the base surface) and red areas representing cut volume (above the base surface).
To make volume calculations even more useful, you can export them as a CSV or GeoJSON file, together with any other annotations you might have added. All the volumes in the project will be included when exporting. In order to access the export options, select the Annotations layer on the hierarchy (left-hand side of the app).
- Added a tooltip to the project cards so that long project names can be read.
- Improved the usability of the download dialog on smaller screens.
- Added proper localization and formatting for measurement values (e.g. commas versus dots for decimals).
- Improved the performance and display quality (especially point sizes) of point clouds.
- Improved the performance of the elevation profile calculation.
- Fixed the 3D view settings popup so that it gets hidden when switching to a different view.
- Fixed an issue which prevented 3D models from being centered in the 3D view when they were not properly geo-referenced.
- Fixed some memory leaks which happened when switching between the 2D and 3D views.
- Fixed an issue which prevented the renaming of a project after having canceled it.
- Fixed an issue which caused a wrong annotation name to be saved when editing the name in the hierarchy and then in the property inspector.
- Fixed the display of long names in dialogs.