Vector Layer Improvements

We have recently been working on vectorization that coincides with our survey field codes and that can be imported into Civil 3D. It would be fantastic if we could save existing vector layers as templates that can be imported into later projects.

When dealing with a large number of vector layers, the ability to group them would also be ideal.

Hi @brian.hatfield,

Thank you for your feature request.
Can you please provide more information about the use case?

Would you like to have a series of vector templates keeping the layer names and colors?

Also, don’t forget to click Vote in the top-left corner of this thread :wink: .

It would be the option to export vector layers we have created as templates, then we can import them into another Survey project instead of recreating all of the layers/attributes every time.

Also, grouping layers. For example (see attached image), if I’m working on power poles, utilities, etc, I could add them to a “Power” group or something and easily toggle on/off the visibility.

There are some projects I’m testing where I might have a dozen or more different layers depending on the requirements.

Thank you, @brian.hatfield.
I will forward everything to the product team. Thank you again for your feedback

1 Like

Good morning Brian,

I have some good news for you: layer templates will be released this week in Matic and Survey, so you’ll be able to save some more time on your future projects.

Thank you for your feedback and please keep posting about the features that you’re missing!

1 Like

Sweet, I love how frequent the updates have been!

1 Like

Is there a tutorial on how to do this?

It is pretty easy to create a template, let me walk you through it.
Once you have your layers in the content panel, you just need to click on the icon shown in the screenshot, select “save as template” and give it a name. It will be saved and displayed in the Preferences. There you can also select which one of your templates is your default.

If you then add more layers and you’d like to include them in the same template, you can use the “save template” option, which will overwrite what you previously saved.

If you start a new project and you had already set a default template, you can immediately click on this same icon from the screenshot and select “apply default template”.

Hope it is clear now.
Best,
Diana

2 Likes

Note: we can import a dxf file with the layers if we don’t want to create them by hand the first time, and later use the Layer template for the next projects :smiley:

Sorry for the late response, thank you so much!