San Miguel de Lillo by Juan Rodriguez from Falcon Drones

Hi Everyone,

Today on #3DMonday, we have a cultural heritage preservation project: San Miguel de Lillo Church, 3D mapped by Falcon Drones using Pix4D.

Sketchfab link: https://sketchfab.com/models/ba07bcfce71b4e47a0c05e6e4089f9d3 

This is what Juan Rodriguez told us about the project:

"In this project, we generated a 3D model of a pre-romanesque (IX century) church in Oviedo, Northern Spain. Our goal is to provide our customers with a complete and easy-to-interpret product, that would allow them not only to share instant global access to buildings and cultural heritage of the area of interest but also control possible damages or defects to plan future restoration actions.

Pix4d has made available for us an amazing end-to-end solution, allowing our company to complete this high-resolution project, from taking the pictures with the UAS to upload our results to the server, in less than 3 days. This option opens a whole new approach to cultural heritage preservation and real estate market."

Enjoy it, and feel free to comment and share your projects.

Pix4D Team.

3 Likes

Hi,

it looks really fantastic. Could you please give us some more informations about the used camera, workflow and Pix4D settings? In my last projects the results wasn’t as good as yours. I usually work with the generated pointclouds, but it would be great to get that excellent meshed results.

I would really appreciate your informations.

Thanks   Martin

I agree with Martin, it would be interesting to learn more about how the project was done. Maybe Juan Rodriguez or someone from Falcon Drones can comment on that? 

Thank you to both of you,

We are deeply sorry for the big delay, we’ve been involved in some projects that have required all our attention lately.

This specific mission was accomplice with a Phantom 4 Pro. We did 6 independent flights: horizontal grid at 30 m for surroundings, circular flight at 15 m to add merging points with more detail. Lastly, 1 manual flight for each side of the building. 

Once in the lab, generate one project for each flight. Then, we merged the grid with the circular flight. Add some extra MTP and re-optimice until the point clouds matched perfectly. Then we updated by merging the “sides” projects one by one to the current project. At the end of this processed, we’ve cleared the point cloud manually before creating the mesh. 

Depending on the size of the project, this technique has gave us some hickups, but most of the time the results are more than satisfactory.

I hope this answer your questions and thanks for your interest.

Cheers,

Juan

2 Likes