Potential meanings of "Warning message 0032: Results for this project have already been generated. By starting the process again existing results will be overwritten."

I have seen this warning a few times, however my circumstances did not cause me to probe deeper about the intended meaning. Until now.

One interpretation:  ALL results from EVERY previous Processing Step (1, 2, 3) will be overwritten.

Another interpretation:  (after checking, for example, only Step 3 after there was a problem with Step 3) ONLY the results from the checked Processing Step will be overwritten.

The ambiguity is in “the process”. Which “process”? Any of the three Steps? All of the Steps from the start of processing for the project?

There’s probably an answer somewhere in the documentation or on the community forum, however I could not find clarification.

Apparently “existing results” can refer to at least two cases:

1. You have checked the boxes for Process Step 1, 2 and 3 to be executed. Then you discovered a problem during Step 3. You made some changes and only want to re-start Step 3. In this case, the Warning message means that only the results from Step 3 will be overwritten, and the results from Step 1 and 2 will NOT be overwritten.

2. You’ve checked the boxes for Process Step 1, 2 and 3 to be executed, and the Steps were executed until close of the Project. Then you discovered a problem during Step 1. You made some changes and want to re-start at Step 1, continuing to Steps 2 and 3. In this case, the Warning message implies that the results from all Steps (1, 2, 3) will be overwritten.

Said another way, the meaning of the Warning message at the moment, is dependent on the context of Processing Steps that have been completed or attempted, and your intent/hope for better results after making changes and re-starting at Step 1, 2 or 3.

Acknowledged:  It’s not easy to write warning/caution/error messages that are short and unambiguous to every reader.  :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi John,

It looks like during the weekend you were able to find out the truth! Very well done troubleshooting. You explained it so well that we can use it as the official documentation :D 

Best greetings from Pix4D Support Team! 

Hi Beata,

You are welcome. Keep improving!

As a slightly related comment, I have found IrfanViewer and Virtual Surveyor to be very useful tools, since some of my clients are either ambitious or worried property owners, not Surveyors or Civil Engineers. I think that Virtual Surveyor deserves to be listed, perhaps in several places, in the categories of Pix4D-compatible apps shown here.

John

Hi John,

Thank you for the comment. We will think about how we can use it wisely.

Best regards