PIX4Dcatch to PIX4D cloud/mapper - missing geometry and nodes information?

Hi,

I’m new to using this software, I used an IPad Pro 2020 to capture the space using PIX4DCatch and imported the files to Cloud/Mapper. However, PIX4DCatch seems to show more node points and 3D texture than when uploaded to Cloud/Mapper. I imported the files in Blender and the textures/model looked fine.

This is currently a test run before going on-site tomorrow to conduct a full internal building survey.

First is from the iPad before export, then cloud and mapper:

Is there something I’m doing wrong when uploading to either Cloud and/or Mapper?

Many thanks!

Hi bor-ren,

Welcome to the community!

The projects displayed on the device include the available LiDAR data. This available LiDAR data is not processed when uploading to PIX4Dcloud when the Use classic image processing is selected. Next time use the default processing to include LiDAR data. PIX4Dmatic would be another option to process LiDAR data on the desktop.

No LiDAR data is processed when Use classic image processing is selected.

To explain the differences in images presented. LiDAR data is helpful in areas where traditional photogrammetry struggles(blank, low texture surfaces), and can provide additional density to those regions. The following article can help illustrate the differences: Depth and dense fusion

Regards,
-Jon

This post is a bit old but I’m having the same issue. Except in 2023, the “Use classic image processing” doesn’t seem to be an option anymore.

Any new solutions?

Hi ctwbim,

The classic pipeline selection no longer exists when uploading to PIX4Dcloud from PIX4Dcatch. There is just one pipeline now. This pipeline processes images along with LiDAR data when present.

It would be expected when comparing results from PIX4Dmapper vs. PIX4Dcloud from a LiDAR-capable mobile device, to see higher density in the homogenous low texture regions in the PIX4Dcloud results (processing includes LiDAR) when compared to PIX4Dmapper results (LiDAR data not processed). The LiDAR data can help fill in homogenous areas with little to no texture.

List of LiDAR capable devices
How does PIX4Dcatch utilize LiDAR data during image capturing and processing?

Hope this helps.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Is there a way to use the LiDAR data to process in Mapper?
If not, does Pix4Dmatic of another Pix4D product use LiDAR data from Catch?
We don’t use the cloud and prefer to process in-house.

Thanks.

You’re welcome!

Not in PIX4Dmapper, PIX4Dmatic is what you are looking for.

For more information:
PIX4Dmatic
Trial, sign up, and login - PIX4Dmatic
How to Process PIX4Dcatch Datasets in PIX4Dmatic
Point clouds generated in PIX4Dmatic

Hope this info helps.

Regards,
-Jon

Thanks again Jonathan.

I’m currently testing Pix4DMatic and Pix4d Survey to see if its a viable replacement for our Pix4Dmapper subscription that is about to expire.