Support Website Contact Support Blog

Pix4Dcatch Community challenge: Catch them if you (s)can

Hello Community,
Here it is the project, now under a new account (I am the same as rcapitao@gmail.com):

This a 3D-model of a “3D- physical model breakwater” that was constructed in the experimental facilities of the National Laboratory of Civil Engineering (a R&D institution) to verify structure integrity on the stability and overtopping phenomena due to simulated irregular waves in a wave tank.
We normally use a Microsoft Kinect Movement sensor to obtain the reconstructed 3D model so that we are able to compare subsequent model’s outputs after every run of tests, for every set of simulated wave conditions. Now we use an iPhone 12 Pro (which sports a LiDAR sensor) with your software instead to obtain the same (or better) results in a much more efficient and quick way. Therefore, the Pix4DCloud project I uploaded was a very first trial. It clearly needs some improvements but results seem promising. I’m quite amazed with the accuracy of the software, results are just as coming from pix4Dcatch without any further adjustments.
Thank you for this participation
Rui (rcapitao@lnec.pt/rcapitao@gmail.com)

2 Likes

Thanks Rodrigo,

I have been using the Pix4Dcatch and Pix4Dcloud to prepare my “Pix4Dcatch Community challenge”. I posted the links and description HERE. I hope you like it. I haven’t had much time to clean up the point cloud and improve the texturing.

2 Likes

Challenge Post:

Hello everyone,

For planning and obtaining the flight images with the [ANAFI-Parrot FPV] drone, the PIX4D Capture software was used. The outputs will serve to analyze the terrain in greater detail as well as to assist in the creation of the 3d model of the building and the vegetal cover of the property.

In order to be able to rehabilitate and give a new use to the built heritage of quinta do paço and its property, it is intended to create an ecotourism project, a tourist typology practically nonexistent in the Municipality. Called “Quinta do Paco - Ecohouses,” the idea of the project to be developed on site, since its matrix is placed in a perspective of preservation of natural resources, promoting sustainable development and the establishment of active population creating a dynamic and multifunctional farm; offering tourist accommodation, but always with a strong environmental awareness; focused on nature and focused on the local community. It is intended to promote ecological agriculture, at a local scale and that preserves the biodiversity of the different habitats. Restoring the soil, nature, implementing permaculture and silviculture practices, also betting on biological products and regional cuisine. The types of crops planned include horticulture in agroforestry (agroforestry agriculture), the cultivation of medicinal and aromatic plants and arboriculture, always focusing on native species.
In addition to the use of residential character, it is intended to complement the offer of “Quinta do Paço”, with the creation of adaptable spaces and with good conditions for holding events, workshops, group activities linked to nature. Always betting on quality, locality, using as premises concepts such as circular economy, Kilometer Zero (KM0), aiming thus:

• Promotion of the local economy by stimulating economic circulation within the community through logics of proximity;
  • Stimulating local family production and increasing the consumption of locally produced food products, throughout the seasons and revealing the character of the region;
  • Fostering the reduction of the ecological food footprint, reducing the energy needed for food products to reach the producer from the consumer;
  • Contribution to food independence, maintaining know-how and local production capacity and decreasing the degree of external food dependency;
  • Contribution to the preservation of local and regional varieties and the biodiversity associated with agricultural systems.

Thanks a lot
Cheers
JAP

Here Some Pics:

3 Likes

here the link to the Pix4D Cloud model!

https://cloud.pix4d.com/dataset/883861/model?shareToken=a85f992b-8645-489b-a583-5086787f0e82

Thanks everyone
Cheers From Portugal

6 Likes

Here is a model we did to look at the complex connections and material in a stormwater sewer junction. It took about 3 mins of wild hand waving when I stuck my hand down into the junction with my Iphone12. We used this to determine connectivity of systems and size and material of pipes. Also tied this to high accuracy GPS invert measurements in GIS.

Real take away was that the client wasn’t sure what pictures could capture the complexity of the structure and I said “why not take hundreds of pictures”. It took less time to snap this Catch project than to decide what ‘normal’ pictures to take.

Check it out here!
https://cloud.pix4d.com/dataset/824039/model?shareToken=0d589bfb-a7c7-43d7-944b-b348355a6e55

1 Like

Hi,

Our project shows a house blended into the hill. It took about 5 years to build and required a lot of complex architectural solutions. It was not without the use of a drone - when designing an irregularly shaped retaining wall down the slope, it was not possible to achieve the desired geometry. With the help of drone imagery and the application of the desired adjustments to these images, it was possible to achieve the desired result.

Check it out here: Pix4Dcloud

1 Like

Hi Taylor. The model looks great. Nice job!

1 Like

Thank you all for your participation.

We are proud to present today the final results for the first Pix4Dcatch Community Challenge.

Our Pix4D jury chose the best projects, according to the usage of Pix4Dcatch, and also according to the project’s connection to the construction industry.

Here’s the podium:

:1st_place_medal: @a.h.taylor1 - 1 year Pix4Dcloud Advanced license
:2nd_place_medal: @Jimmy_Urfer - 9-month Pix4Dcloud license
:3rd_place_medal: @thomas.reinsel - 6-month Pix4Dcloud license

All other selected projects 4 through 7 will receive Pix4D goodies for their participation.

@JAVIER_ALEJANDRO_GOM
@rcapitao
@s.empereur
@AlexBOnd

We will be contacting you to organize the prize attribution and also to discuss potential collaborations.

Thank you all.

3 Likes