Support Website Contact Support Blog

Orthomosaic in "strips" - Mavic Pro 2

Hello. This my first post on the forum. I recently flew two separate projects: For one I used Pix4D Capture App with a 3D grid, the other we flew a grid manually (unfortunately we didn’t have the app at that time). Both projects have unusable orthoimage outputs where there are “strips” of imagery with black spaces dividing them. If I look at the volumes tab in Pix4D mapper the results look much more “cohesive.”

Project 1 - “Manual” grid flight
Pix4D_proj1

Project 2 - Pix4D Capture App used
- As a new use I can only upload one file to the forum (see below).

  • Is this a Mavic Pro 2 camera calibration issue?
  • Is there anything I can do at this point?
  • How can I prevent this from happening in the future?

Thank you in advance for the feedback.

Here is a photo of Project 2:
Pix4D_proj2

HI @CK_FSLA,

Could you post here the Quality Report of your project? I can think of two causes of this issue. I would like to verify which one of those we are dealing with here. Thanks!

Regards

Hi. Thank you for the response. Attached are the reports. Let me know if you have any questions.

Project1_report.pdf (1.9 MB)

Project2_report.pdf (2.0 MB)

Hi,

Thank you very much for the reports.

The issue is related to camera calibration. I would suggest you change the camera shutter mode to Global Shutter and reprocess the project using the 3DMap processing template.

To change the Rolling Shutter for Global Shutter go to:

  1. Image Properties Editor.
  2. In the Selected Camera Model section click Edit.
  3. Click again Edit.
  4. Change the Shutter Model to Global Shutter or Fast Readout.
    .

I hope it helps!

Thank you. Trying this now. I will report back with the results. Are there any settings I should change on the drone itself or within Pix4D Capture to help make this smoother down the road?

So, I’m still processing (currently at step 3) Project 1 and anxious to see the results this is from the summary of the new report:

Is this concerning?

Hi!

It’s something that we have t work on :slight_smile: Could you please send us here the Quality Report of this new processing?

Best

Well the results look much better. I am having problems with the GCPs but I might start a new community thread for that since I assume it is a wholly independent issue. At least this is usable data now:

Pix4D_proj1_r2

As requested, here is the updated Quality Report
Project1_R2_report.pdf (1.5 MB)

Thanks for your help!

1 Like

Hi @CK_FSLA,

Thanks for following our best practices and posting a new issue as a separate topic.

I see that there are not many matches in the project. I think you could increase its density by selecting Use Geometrically Verified Matching in Step 1.

Best

Thanks. I will re-process and try to select that option. I think Pix4mapper may have gotten stuck at 51% calibration. It’s been at this point for hours. I am going to restart and try again
Pix4D_Calibrate

Hi @CK_FSLA,

Hm. I would suggest that you write us a ticket with Quality Report and the .log file attached. Definitely, the software does not work for you as expected. And we have to change that. :slight_smile:

Best!

Hello - Thank you for the response and for your help. I am still struggling with this project. The latest problem is that the software just seems to crash when I run the scan overnight. Very frustrating. I have created a ticket and uploaded the most recent quality report and log for the multiple attempts. Thank you.

1 Like