mavic2 - connection lost between pix4d and the controler during mission

Hello,
Sorry for my grammar, English is not my native language.
With a Mavic 2, on Android with all software updated, I was doing a Grid mission for 2D maps, at 150 m high, surface around 1000m x 1500m. (multi battery flight ) (pics are used for low def 3d )
During the mission, i lost the signal of the drone on pix4d’s screen, drone froze, apparently not taking photos, abort button not working. (the “wifi” symbol was not green anymore )
But the connection between the controller and the drone was still strong…
After 2mn I called the drone back home with the controller and it came back. (it was still moving as seen on the distance of it on the controller)
When I reconnect everything to go on mission again , i saw that there were less memory on the sd card than when the connection was lost…so it seems to have continue taking photos ?!
No way at the moment to see where the mission stop exactly, and i had to reprogram a new mission approximatly.

Why the connection was lost ?
Is it possible that the drone carry on the mission anyway ?
How can the signal between the smart phone and the controller be lost as they are connected by a cable ?? (the mission is send by the controller no?)
Thank you for your help

Hello Ludovic,

I forgive you for your grammar, I know what it is as it seems we have the same native language so don’t hesitate to write in french to us :slight_smile:

Are you using the Mavic 2 Pro?

The main reasons for connection loss is interference (high voltage lines, metallic structures) or the drone is too far away. Note that when the connection is lost with the drone, it will follow the fail-safe behavior that has been set in DJI GO4.

Communication issues can always occur which will break the continuity of the mission. In any case, when an unexpected behavior occurs, we recommend to interrupt the mission and fly it again after having followed all the basic checks and troubleshooting steps. If properly followed, it will solve most of the issues that can be encountered by users.

Also, you can check the cable and replace it if necessary.

Best,

Merci Gael : )
oui c’est un mavic pro,
et oui le drone était loin (max 1500m), mais il a déconnecté au milieu de la mission quand il était plus proche.
Mais le drone peut aller beaucoup plus loin, c’est pour cela je ne comprend pas la déconnection.
Pas de structure métallique etc en vue…
Le câble est tout neuf. Drone et Asus smartphone aussi.
Bon il y a quand même une base de l’otan dans le coin, mais les limites du terrain sont à 8 km.
J’y retourne aujourd’hui, je ferai des missions moins vaste, on verra bien.
Merci
Cordialement.
Ludo

Bonjour Ludovic,

à 1500m, selon ce qu’il se trouve entre le remote controller et le drone, la connection peut surement devenir faible ou instable ce qui peut casser la continuité d’une mission.

A prioris, il n’y a pas de raisons évidente à une déconnection si le drone est plus proche et qu’il n’y a pas d’obstacles tel que des bâtiments qui pourrait atténuer la liaison entre le drone et la remote.

Une base de l’otan à 8km est surement quelquechose à considérer si les pertes de liaisons se répètent.

En effet, voler des missions plus petites peut limiter comportement non attendu.

Tenez moi au courant,
Salutations

Bonjour Gaël,
Merci pour ton message.
Il semble que le problème venait de la distance, en me plaçant au milieu de la grande zone à couvrir je n’ai pas eu de problème.

J’imagine aussi qu’il s’agit du débit nécessaire, le controleur n’a pas besoin de beaucoup de débit mais pix4D en demande plus d’où la rupture si le signal est faible ?..j’essaye de comprendre. Si la mission est chargée au début vers le drone, il devrait pouvoir la continuer mème si le signal est coupé non ?
Salutations

Bonjour Ludovic,

Merci de ton retour.

Lorsque le signal est coupé, c’est le comportement de sécurité du drone qui prévaut. Celui-ci est défini dans DJI GO 4. En général, un Return-To-Home s’active arpès 10 secondes sans signal. Par la suite, si le signal est récupéré entre temps, la continuité de la mission risque d’être compromise mais je ne peux pas vous dire avec certitude car ce n’est pas un scénario-test lorsque nous supportons des nouveaux drone.

Salutations,

Hello, we have a problem with Pix4Dcapture application. During the mission flight happened, that the connection with drone was interrupted. Drone flew whole mission, but without connection. Also, when we checked camera view during flight, the connection was interrrupted. We have DJI Mavic 2 Pro drone. Is this some bug of the application or can it be something else?
Thank you.

Hello,

The main reasons for connection loss is interference (high voltage lines, metallic structures) or the drone is too far away. Note that when the connection is lost with the drone, it will follow the fail-safe behavior that has been set in DJI GO4.

Communication issues can always occur which will break the continuity of the mission. In any case, when an unexpected behavior occurs, we recommend to interrupt the mission and fly it again after having followed all the basic checks and troubleshooting steps. If properly followed, it will solve most of the issues that can be encountered by users.

Regards,

Hello, I maybe wrote it wrong, but it is not the lost of connection with controller, but with Pix4DCapture application. The drone after lost of connection flew the whole mission, took the images and landed.
But the mission in phone screen was frozen on one place. And later it restarted, but drone continued in mission flight normally. The distance from drone was about 250 m and there weren’t high voltage lines
This also happens, when I check the online camera view from drone during mission. The screen of Pix4DCapture freeze and we check the drone status only with the controller. But it fly and application wants to restart.
What can be solution to this problem?
Thank you

Hello,

If your phone screen has frozen it might be due to the hardware issue of your phone or some communication issue. So, make sure the below

1. Make sure that the drone manufacturer’s app is not running in the background. Force quit if necessary: (Android, iOS) How to force quit an app. This will cause issues while communicating between the drone manufacturer’s app and the Pix4Dcapture app.
  2. Make sure not to run any app on the background during the flight.
  3. If the above suggestion doesn’t solve your issue, followed all the basic checks and troubleshooting steps. If properly followed, it will solve most of the issues that can be encountered by users.

Keep in Mind that Pix4Dcapture is acting as a third-party application so if an unexpected behavior happens during the flight you will always have the possibility to take back manual control of the drone by:

• Changing flight modes
  • Moving the controller’s joysticks.

Regards,