how to display / insert a graphic scale on an orthoplan

Hello,

I would like to show on the .tiff image of my orthomosaic a vector image of graphic scales to measure the distances between two points.

Thus with the help of a compass or a ruler, the reader could measure a distance, an approximate distance, as we can do on a road map.

How to do it with Pix4D Mapper ?
If this is not possible, how to do it with an image editor like Illustrator, Photoshop, etc.

Thank you in advance for your help
Greetings
Dom

Hi Dom,

You can create a map with scale, legend, north star, basemap etc. by using the free software QGIS. I would recommend checking out this video tutorial, it is quite detailed and suitable for newbies: Print Layout in QGIS 3. Please note that your model has to be geolocated (image with geotags), because QGIS is geospatial software which needs to locate your project on Earth and thus scale it according to the reality.

Here is what you can generate using QGIS:

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Teodora

Hi Teodora,
many thanks for your help, much appreciated!
Super, I’m installing this software today …
I suppose that the .tiff of the photomosaic which was created / exported by Pix4d is a geolocated image. Is it this ?
Cheers
Dom

Hi Dom,

The .tiff orthomosaic/DSM/DTM need to be geolocated, otherwise QGIS cannot locate it on Earth and cannot generate the corresponding scale that relates to the real values.

Cheers,
Teodora

Hi Teodora,
How to do the geolocation of the Pix4d exported .tiff ?
Thank you,
Cheers
Dom

Hello again,

If the image dataset has geotags (i.e. coordinates), then the project outputs of Pix4Dmapper will be automatically geolocated, because the software recognizes the inherent image geolocation. Makes sense, right?

Please read this article for more information: Select Image / GCP / Output Coordinate System.

FYI there are many Pix4D articles and community posts where you can find relevant information.

Good luck!

Teodora

Hi Teodora,

Excellent news …

The project captures were made by drone and therefore each of the images used for Pix4d processing are geolocated.

Another big thank you for your help and your ultra fast interventions!
Cheers

Hi Dom,

No worries! Good luck!

Best,
Teodora

Hi Teodora,

About insertion, here is a tutorial “super” interesting when inserting cards of diverse and varied origins!

Thank you again for the help you have given me and this is a fair return!

I’m going to post for the community

Cheers
Dom

Thanks for sharing this, Dom!

Good luck with the maps! It would be interesting if you could share the maps with us, I am curious about how they look :slight_smile:
Cheers,
Teodora