Grid of Points

Would it be possible to be able to select the orientation of the regular grid? Being able to orientate the grid would allow for cleaner edges being formed by the tin within a subject area.

Being able to generate a tin with multiple sets of grid points (eg. 0.01m grid for complex areas and 10m grid for simple areas) would be beneficial as I have found that the smart grid does not always generate a grid of points (TIN) that accurately represents the ground.

Being able to select a singular point to add the the grid off points would also be beneficial when accuracy modelling the ground. I understand that a vector terrain layer basically already does this.

Lastly, I believe a massive help would be being able to export an elevation label that is attached to the respected point in the grid of points, as spot elevations are nearly always shown on topographic survey plans.

Hello @surveying, Thank you for the feature request. I would also recommend you to click on the vote so that the product manager can see how many people are requesting this feature.

Hi @surveying,

Thanks for the suggestions! As you mentioned, you can put a marker on a terrain layer and include that single point. We also recently brought the option to include multiple grid of points in a TIN. If I want to be quite quick but still get a fairly dense TIN, I’ll run a lowpass grid at about 5 meters plus a smart grid at a tighter spacing and include both - then you don’t have any massive triangles and capture grade changes pretty well.

As for exporting elevation labels, the Z values are included in the grid outputs, but in the Geometry, so it depends on how and in what software you do the labeling. We’re also working on exporting the grid to CSV, which will give you a few more options for display and lableling. What software are you using where you label? How many spot elevations do you normally work with?

Below is an example using 3 separate grids, you can see the blue grid on the roadmap with very tight spacing helps to pull out details in the road surface (it also shows noise I didn’t clean up in this quick example)

Pix4Dsurvey_QEATOaIJ5C

Nate

Hi Nate,

I wasn’t aware that you can now generate a TIN with multiple sets of grid points. I will 100% be using your technique of using a regular grid, pair with the smart grid in the future. Thanks for the tip!

I have written a lisp routine for BricsCAD. I simply import the grid of points (DXF) and then select similar or click on the point and an elevation label is generated at a specific size, orientation and location in relation to the grid point. The general amount of spot elevations ranges from 1000-100