Google KML Creates Over 120,000 files!

I have a project with about 1,300 photos for a 500-acre area (1.4-inch GSD).  The Google KML export contained over 125,000 files!  That’s unmanageable.  I’ve done KML/KMZ exports using other software with similar large areas and it creates no where near as many tiles.  What’s up?  I don’t see any setting that looks like it would control the tile size.  So is this just how Pix4D processes the KML export?

Hi,

As you already mentioned, when generating the Google Tiles with .kml extension, more than one folder and files can be generated. The number of folders depends on the final resolution of the results.

Can you also see the .kml file in the parent folder? That .kml file, e.g. guided_tour_mosaic.kml, will automatically open the other ones that can be found in child folders.

I understand how .kml (.kmz) files work.  What I was really asking is if there is no way to control the tile size so on large jobs of hundreds of acres, there aren’t hundreds of thousands of files.  If you can increase the size of the tiles, then you need less tiles.  In other processing software I’ve used you can increase the size of the tiles based on the size of the total job (or it does it automatically).  

Hey, thanks for the clarifications. At the moment this option is not available in Pix4Dmapper, but I will share your feedback with the Team. Could you be more specific: which software are you referring to, when you say “In other processing software I’ve used you can increase the size of the tiles based on the size of the total job”? Thanks

Hello,

When importing highlighted single kml file into google earth do all the additional child folders containing tiles need to be imported manually as well or is this automatically processed/accessed? Also, is there a way to import the “google tiles” folder with all folders, tiles and files directly into google earth? I am getting the giant red X error…In google earth the “import kml file from computer” command seems to only access one file when actually multiple files and tiles need to be imported???

Hi @douglas.staniszewski,

From my understanding, the highlighted file is linked with the folders with tiles. In other words, if you open the “main” .kml file in Google Earth then it should automatically load the tiles that are in (sub)folders.

Best,