FLIR Duo Pro R

I’m in pretty deep trouble, because FLIR won’t deliver the DUO Pro for another month and, even worse, since my gimbal is custom made and can’t be produced until I provide the FLIR’s weight and size and COG.

Weight and size is available, of course, but COG?
Does anyone know the exact COG of the Duo Pro R 640 with 13 mm lens? 

Any hints very, very welcome.

Regards
Reto

Reto that is troubling

Hope you get an answer for you question…

Gyula Sólyom, I tried to process your last data set, but for the RGB the overlap is not enough.

Thanks, Can you corfirm as well the RGB image properties? 

@Pedro

The first thing to check is the exif of the images since we load these parameters from there. This look about right but you should double check with the manufacturer.

I have tried myself to find some documentation online, but unfortunately, it is not written.

Maybe inside the box, you can find the camera specification?

Let me know,

Ina

@Pedro: You use exactly the same camera I ordered, with the 13mm lens, right?

If you could determine the COG by balancing the camera on a pen or anything alike (in respect to all three axes) and if you could share this information (X,Y and Z values, measured from any known origin), I would owe you many, many beers ;-) 
I would even pay you something, because it would save me weeks until I get ready for testing as well.

Background: I need to provide the COG info to the gimbal manufacturer such that he can produce a (gimbal) base plate which is well balanced. If I have to wait until my camera is shipped, I loose another month. However, if I manage to get this (COG) info beforehand, the gimbal can be produced while I’m waiting for the cam. Unlucky me.

Regards
Reto

Hello, I think you misunderstood. I do not have FLIR just yet.

I am using Gyula Sólyom latest dataset. Maybe Reto should ask Gyula Sólyom, cause they have the sensor and allready used in different UAS configurations.

I already asked FLIR for the RGB image parameters, still waiting on the answer.

If i could get that information, both for the RGB sensor and the COG i would be more than happy. see if this helps Reto.

https://store.gremsy.com/product/circular-damping/

Once you have the camera can i ask you to share with me some consistent dataset for our objectives (thermal ref map and RGB Ortho) 

Hope it helps, 

Cheers,

Pedro Penedos

Dear Reto!

We could try to hang it or balance it on a pen and take pictures of it with a ruler in front of it so you would be able to find out 

where the c.g. is. 

Dear Pedro!

I do not think we have so small overlap, I have a suspicion that the camera optimisation parameters are not correct if you take a look at the pictures and scroll them you will see how much the real overlap is.

Best Regards,

Gyula

@Gyula: This would be fantastic, you would do me a very big favour. 

I just did the same with a Rededge-M: I put a small piece of tape on the bottom and on back and on the side of the camera and then balanced the camera on a thin edge. Once I found the proper position, I marked it with a pen. Finally I decided for an origin (e.g. bottom left corner on the backside and measured the marks.

The result: 
**COG in respect to left, bottom corner of base plate (looking from rear): **l = 42.5 mm / h = 31.5 mm / d = 20.5 mm

Thank you so much, Gyula.
To all others: Sorry for “abusing” this thread.

I was suspecting something like that was happening when i posted the RGB camera parameters. Could you share with me the numbers you use in the RGB camera?

Thanks again, 

Just like Reto i am waiting for the delivery of the camera but from a different distributor that was it on stock i hope. I am using a Gremsy T3 that we have already and the FLIR DUO PRO R 640 13mm.

Great, that we all three have exactly the same equipment, that will help a lot optimizing the workflow and getting the most out of this sensor. I also appreciate the impressive support by Pix4D, once again. Thank you Ina and thank you guys for this rewarding collaboration.

Reto

Dear Gyula

If I can do anything to support you in balancing the FLIR, please let me know. If I get the COG by whatever means, that would be great. The manufacturer of the gimbal is standby and ready to produce, once I can provide the FLIR’s COG.

Kind regards
Reto

Hi Reto!

We performed as you suggested with balancing it on a pen. It is a bit of Homework exercise to read the positions :slight_smile:

Hope it is visible enough!

Best Regards,

Gyula

Whow :slight_smile:
I owe you many, many beers, thank you so much, Gyula.
I will immediately forward that to Copterworks.

Have a nice day
Reto

1 Like

Not too much of a surprise, the COG lies pretty close to the tripod mount and, Z-wise, about 30…35 mm above the base plate, if I try to consider parallax effects.

Thanks a lot!
Reto

1 Like

Hi everybody,

I’m a french guy and I would like made a orthothermal map with a Flir Vue Pro R 640, 13mm. I would like use DJI GS pro or pix4d capture for the planification. Do you have use this? or an another application. 

thank you

Sébastien 

@bgfbgfdfgbd bgfbdgbdgfbgf I would recommend you to open a post under image acquisition :slight_smile:

Thanks,

Ina

hello Ina

ok thank you for your answer

1 Like

Hi, has anyone had any luck with this? 

I am using the Flir Duo Pro R 13mm 640x512. I can’t find the sensor settings anywhere but I believe it is the same sensor as that tau2. 

Typically I use Agisoft to process data but this camera is so new and as I see now even Pix4d doesn’t have a workflow for processing.

Currently the dataset I have is 500 or so images, 60m AGL, 2secs per image, moving at 4m per second. Flight lines distanced approximately 15m apart. North facing orientation, flying in a grid. Overlap is very high. Can visibly see the overlap between images.

The data set aligns and calibrates 100% in photoscan, but in Pix4d with the recommended settings I see for the Tau2 camera, it does not align thermal, or RGB or a combination of them both. I have tried on Alternative and on standard. Any ideas?

Hi Ina, Mark

Could this (Mark’s) data set be a basis for creating a proper camera rig,  for this camera and Pix4Dmapper?
My FLIR Duo Pro R / 13mm has still not been delivered, unfortunately.

Best
Reto

I still have a very fundamental question, regarding FLIR Duo Pro R images or other multi-sensor imagery:

Since the two sensors are combined in one camera, is it (one day) possible for Pix4Dmapper to calibrate the camera (rig) using the higher resolution RGB images instead of processing both image sets sequentially? If I understand correctly, that’s where the "camera rig concept would come into place. Is that correct?

For such cameras / camera rigs, which Pix4Dmapper process steps are done once only (for both sensors) and which steps are processed twice, once for RGB and once for IR?

Reto