Effects of missing gimbal roll, pitch, and yaw

If I use a non DJI gimbal on my M600 and there is no gimbal roll, pitch, and yaw data, will this have a major effect on processing? I have always used a P4P or I2 in the past so this was not even a question. Just trying to figure out if this is even an issue to be concerned with.

Thanks!

Hello,
It is not mandatory to have geotags information on the images. You can still process the images without those information. However, having those information can reduce the processing time as the initial positions of the cameras will be known and it enables you to geolocate the images.

Thanks,

Kapil,
Thanks for the reply. I will have very precise geotag data (lat, lon, and altitude)

But if I use a 3rd party gimbal on the Matrice 600 pro there will be no gimbal (camera) roll, pitch, and yaw information in the EXIF data.

My question is will not having roll, pitch and yaw of the gimbal (camera) adversely affect processing? There will be PPK geolocation data present.

Most of my flights would be at 90 degres but in cases where I flew ay 70 degrees, how would missing the camera agles (yaw, pitch, and roll) affect processing?

Thete will alwaysbe precise location (lat, lon, and altitude)

Thanks

Hi Tim,

By default, Pix4Dmapper Desktop calculates and optimizes the internal and external camera parameters during the image calibration (processing step 1), whether there are initial parameters for all of those written in the image EXIF or not. Meaning that by default, Pix4Dmapper computes the most accurate orientation values possible for the project, for all images of a project. The accuracy of the optimization depends mainly on the image content and overlap.

Processing speed
The main “adverse” effect of not having initial orientation values is that you will not be able to use the accurate geolocation and orientation calibration method which can be used when there are accurate initial external camera parameters (geolocation and orientation) for the images and it can speed up processing.

Accuracy
Having accurate orientation values in addition to accurate geolocation information can increase the possibility (and speed, as mentioned above) of generating accurate results. However, there are other factors which influence the accuracy of a project: more in Accuracy of Pix4D outputs and How to use the rayCloud to improve the Accuracy?
As a conclusion, not having initial accurate orientation information for your images should not have an adverse effect on your project, as long as the rest of your project parameters follow our recommendations to reach good accuracy.

I hope this helps!

Rhea, thank you. That is precisely the answer I was loooking for.

Have a geeat day.