Geotag & extra orientation

Hello pix4d~
I,m jay who will buy your mapping solution in korea.
I have some question below.

1. If i collect aerial photo (for map) about 300 frames by drone(px4) at camera will fixed attitude than,
  • it must have geo tag?
  • what must include geo tag info (e.g. gps position, Element of Orientation …)
  • pix4d no need camera Inner orientation ? No need lens calibration info?
  1. If it is not important thing for accuracy process, than could my drone has stablelized gimbal?
  • it mean flexibility camera attitude
  • the gimbal will stability in take picture
  • so, the imu data (exterior orientation) does not match real photo orientation. It’s ok?
    I will use photogrammetry for national base map.

Thank you.

안녕하세요 Seung Kyu Joung! 

Please find the answers to your questions below: 

1 a. It is not mandatory to have geotags on the images. However, this can reduce the processing time as the initial positions of the cameras will be known and it enables you to geolocate the images if you do not have Ground Control Points (GCPs). 

1 b. Here is an article that shows everything required for geotagging images: https://support.pix4d.com/hc/en-us/articles/202558539-Input-Files#label2 

1 c. Most cameras are in our camera database, so the software knows the focal lens, sensor size, pixel size and more information about the camera. If your camera is not in the camera database, you can always create your own camera model in the software as described in this article: https://support.pix4d.com/hc/en-us/articles/206065716

1. Yes, you can use a gimbal. The IMU data is only used in the “Accurate Orientation and Geolocation” pipeline for calibration. This is only used if the IMU is very accurate and mainly helps to make the processing faster, if you do not plan to use that you can use the gimbal. All other calibration methods (i.e. Standard and Alternative) do not use the IMU. 

Hope it helps! Let me know if you have other questions :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you for your help :slight_smile:

1 Like

You are welcome! :slight_smile: