Does Pix4D support offline mapping?

I need an offline, stand-alone mapping solution that will allow me to capture maps in remote locations beyond internet access. DroneDeploy requires you to activate the app via internet/cellular to download your flightplan before you can fly. You can then go into the field but if you turn off your device or drain the battery you will lose the maps. I need to be able to download maps to my mobile device at home, fly or drive to a remote location and then power up an launch in the field without an internet connection.

Will Pix4D work for me?

Hi Kellan,

Thank you for your interest in our products.

It is not needed to have internet connection (mobile data or Wi-Fi) to perform missions. Only the geolocation signal of the mobile device is used to geolocalized the mission and the home point with respect to the drone’s GPS. However, we recommend to plan the mission in advance so that the base map can be loaded and saved (Android) or cached (iOS) on the device before going to the field.

For more information: https://support.pix4d.com/hc/en-us/articles/206617636

Regards,

Hi,

I can´t perform missions on my Android tablet. When I run Pix4dCapture app it tries to connect on the Cloud and doesn´t allow to continue. I am using the same login and password but the app doesn´t accept its.

Thanks

Hi Joao,

Could you please confirm you have Internet connection when trying to log in and that you are using the latest Pix4Dcapture 3.7.1?

Is it a one time problem or is it systematic and persisting?
Did you perhaps try more recently since last Thursday?

The cloud error actually means there is not Internet so the app cannot communicate with our server to make the login successful.

Could you try to uninstall and reinstall the app to see if the issue persists?
If it does, could you provide the Android version installed on the device (Settings > About)?

Regards,

@kellan Hatch

I am also trying to find an offline solution for base maps for my ios P4P. I am just wondering if you managed to find one? I am investigating various options and will let you know if I find a solution but I would also appreciate knowing if you have. Could you please answer this through my email mail@thinkingpictures.com.au as I am not often on these forums. 

Hi,

Newbie question alert - I want to plan an orthomosaic mission in advance, from home, then turn up on site and run it.

How do I do this?

Andy

Hello @smithandrew493,
I would suggest you to follow the steps explained in our support article on Offline basemap and missions / How to operate flights without internet.

All of the support seems to be very misleading… I am trying to plan and execute a mission without an internet connection. Many posts say that I can but then the support article you reference says I have to have an internet connection in the office. Due to operational security concerns, I cannot connect the controller (ios) to the internet at all. I would like to download basemaps to a PC or a different controller and then transfer the basemaps via portable hard drive to my controller. I just need to know what format the image files need to be and how to get the Pix4d Capture to recognize them in the controller. It is becoming more and more SOP for government agencies and large corporations to not allow internet connectivity of drone missions due to security concerns. So if a mission cannot be executed without an internet connection, the platform is useless. I hope this is addressed soon since I really like the other aspects of the platform and the software. FYI, I am allowed to connect to the internet 1 time to download, register and open the software before connecting to the drone but after connecting to the drone, the drone is the only connection allowed ever except for wired connections.

Hello Damien,
Thanks for your feedback.
You could use the the kml functionality (available only in Android):

Please note that Pix4D’s software is image acquisition app agnostic. That means Pix4Dmapper, Pix4Dcloud, Pix4Dmatic, Pix4Dreact, and Pix4Dfields can process images taken virtually from any application as long as they are of good quality and overlap: