[Desktop][Pix4Dmapper 3.3.29] Can't load rayCloud after reoptimization

Hello everyone and thank you for any assistance on this issue.  I’ve been having an issue getting my ground control points added to my project.

I’ve been following the steps listed here: https://support.pix4d.com/hc/en-us/articles/202560239-How-to-include-GCPs-in-the-Project#gsc.tab=0

NOTE: I’m using Method “B” as I don’t have georeferenced images, however, I do have ground control points with known locations.  I’m setting WGS 84 as my coordinate system.

The issue I keep coming across is after adding in only my first three GCPs and running the reoptimization I get an error:  [Error]: Error building pointcloud structure

Once this happens, I’m unable to do anything else with my project.  I’ve had to start over and reprocess the rayCloud.  I’m wondering what the issue here could be as I’d hate to spend another 4 hours running a project just to have it die again when adding GCPs.

Hello Shawn, 

Is the Quality Report properly generated before adding the GCPs? Here you will find a detailed description on how to analyze the Quality Report. 

Since you don’t have image geolocation, I assume that your project is in an arbitrary coordinate system. 

It could be that the screen is not focused on the project and the point cloud, a camera or a point is located somewhere else. Try to click the Automatic Tie Point on the left sidebar and press the key “F” (or select rayCloud -> Viewpoint -> Focus on Selection). This will focus on the camera.

Can you see the camera now? Then, you should be able to mark the GCPs. 

Hope this helps. 

Yes I’m using arbitrary coordinate system until I add the GCPs.  The Quality Report is indeed generated before adding GCPs and the rayCloud looks fantastic.  It seems the whole project eats itself once I add the first 3 GCPs and try to reoptimize.

Clicking on either “Tie Points” or “Automatic Tie Points” results in the same error being shown in the log:

[UI]: GCP/MTP Manager clicked.
[Error]: Error building pointcloud structure

I’m going to attempt running the project again from the start.  I’ll report back after step one is completed again.  Thank you very much for the assistance, it’s greatly appreciated!

Make sure you double check the file with the Ground Control Points and the coordinate system selected, maybe the coordinates are not registered correctly.  

Hi Shawn, i am having the same problem with you. i have photos without geolocation, thus i am using arbitrary coord system. the raycloud looks perfectly nice after step 1, but once i added the GCPs, the same error message appears, error building point cloud structure. did u already have solutions to your problems? Thanks.

@IIy,

could you tell us more about the project you are processing:

• Which version of the software are you using?
  • Did you try the suggestion from Marili: “It could be that the screen is not focused on the project and the point cloud, a camera or a point is located somewhere else. Try to click the Automatic Tie Point on the left sidebar and press the key “F” (or select rayCloud -> Viewpoint -> Focus on Selection). This will focus on the camera.” Does it work?
  • Could you attach the link to the quality report from the project in order to have a look?