Delete Points from the Point Cloud

Hi…
I have a questions I will be grateful for your answer… I have edited the point cloud to regenerate a better triangle mesh.I have assigned unwanted points to anew group named "deleted " and then go to the> process>Generate 3D Texture mesh… But the mesh still have the unwanted points…What can ido to reprocess mesh without these points?.. . I have another question can i delete and edit unwanted mesh texture (final process 2) to better mesh texture?

Hi Riyam,

For outputs to be generated based on the edits you make in the point cloud, you need to assign the points you want to remove in the group  Disabled that exists by default. If you assign points into a group other than Disabled (you created one called “deleted”), the software will not recognize that points in that group need to be removed.

Then do not forget to click  Assign , save the project and generate the 3D textured mesh.

Let me know if it works.

Hi!

I marked an area of points, went to /Disabled an then to /apply. But the points were still used for the mesh.
What is wrong?

Thanks a lot!

Christian

Hello Christian,

Would you please make sure to follow the steps below after the Point Cloud is edited? If you process step 2 again, the new point cloud is processed and the edited point cloud will be overwritten. I assume this is the cause of the problem in this case.

1. On the Menu bar, please click “Process”
  2. Click “Generate 3D Textured Mesh”

Hi Yuka!

It doesn`t work, even if I do it your way. Can I send a video?

Thanks
Christian

Hello Christian,

It would be great if you could contact us as it might be difficult to upload the video here. If you could send us the quality report, we will also check if there are better settings for this project.

Kind regards,

Heres the quality report. The problem is that I have to export the *.obj into another software. Therefore I must reduce the number of meshes. Thats the reason why I want to delete points.

Thanks a lot!

Christian
Projekt 2_1_Be_dH 9_report.pdf (1.6 MB)

Hi Christian,

If your only goal is to reduce the number of triangles on the mesh, I suggest you change the processing options. The maximum number of triangles processing options is available at Menu Process > Processing Options… > 2. Point Cloud and Mesh > 3D Textured Mesh.

Another way to reduce the file size of a 3D textured mesh with PIX4Dmapper is by adding a processing area to limit the extent of the mesh to only the part of the project area that is relevant to your work. More information about adding a processing area is available at How to use a processing area in Pix4Dmapper.

I hope this information is helpful for you.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Have a very nice day.

Best regards.

Hi Pix4d Team,

I am also having difficulty in getting the mesh to only use the nominated point cloud.

I have utilised moving all the unwanted points to the “disabled” layer, but when I process via the

1. On the Menu bar, please click “Process”
  2. Click “Generate 3D Textured Mesh”
    The resultant 3d mesh (Triangle Meshes tab) still appears to have used those disabled points.

Is there a way to delete those disabled point cloud points to ‘force’ the program to not use them?

thanks
Andrew

Hi Andrew,

I have responded to your support ticket. In general, to generate the 3D textured mesh based on the edited point cloud (where some unwanted points are assigned to the disabled group), please go to Menu bar > Process > Generate 3D Textured Mesh.

Reference: Menu Process > Generate 3D Textured Mesh - PIX4Dmapper

Since you mentioned using this function still has the points from the disabled group included while using v4.6.4, I recommend try it with our latest stable version v4.8.4.

I was able to generate the 3D textured mesh based on the edited points with this function.
Here I attach the screenshots of the test I did in V4.8.4:

• Dense point cloud: before assigning points to the disabled group
  • Dense point cloud: after assigning points to the disabled group (three threes in front of the hours were moved to the disabled group).
  • 3D mesh: before assigning points to the disabled group (the two smaller trees were already not included in the 3D mesh)
  • 3D mesh: after assigning points to the disabled group (the tree on the left was not included anymore)

I hope this helps for everyone.

Best,
Rosana (she/her)