Capture app and DJI Matrice 600 (with non-DJI camera mounted)

Douglas, it is now 18 months later after your post and I just picked up an M600 Pro. I currently have an A6000 that I wanted to mount on my M600 but trying to determine which gimbal?? The Ronin MX seems very heavy and if I read correctly, flight time is only 16 minutes with that gimbal. I have to believe there are some much lighter gimbals that would work well for the Sony Alpha cameras. What is your setup and is it still working well for you? After I get a very efficient setup, then I would like to upgrade to the A7r ii or iii.

I have the Emlid M2 gps module and I use EZsurv for post processing. So my two problems are

1. figuring out how to trigger the camera without spending $thousands extra.
  2. which light weight gimbal to use to carry the Sony cameras and allow for longest flight times.

If I find a cost effective way to trigger the camera, then I would simply hook my Emlid M2 to the Sony hotshoe to record all the events and then post process the Emlid log file and update the images with PPK data using EZsurv. It does that very nicely.

It seems crazy to me that the M600 has been out for some time and the only solution for triggering cameras is $$$ many thousands. Thanks for any insight you can provide.

I got the M600 Pro for 3 reasons

1. Be able to rent and fly Lidar
  2. Be able to fly my Insta360 Pro to take multiple aerial 360 photos for a “sky tour” over large acerage
  3. Be able to do PPK mapping with redundancy, and added safety.

Thanks,
Tim Durham
Midsouth Drone Services

Adam,
I replied with details to Douglas, but if you have a chance, can you provide me advice on the M600 setup? It seems that you have a good bit of experience with this particular setup. Thanks for your previous posts.

Tim Durham

Hey Tim

I would use the hot shoe to the emild unit so you can use your emild GNSS in a PPK setting.

So, I still think you could use a lightweight grimsy gimbal and either fire it via the mapsmade easy ninja board, working with their well established Map Pilot app which sits on the DJI SDK. I would at least reach out and speak with them about one of the newer grimsy configurations. No need to explain why you love the M600 Pro.
I had issues with their tagging of larger projects, so the emild show and your post process PPK should work great. There are other solutions, but you basically ended up at same place. Are you renting lidar from HTS? Russ and Andy there are fantastic.

Le me know what Mapsmade Easy says now about ninja and newer grimsy or just grimsy and map pilot and Emild?

DOUG

Hi Doug, I have talked to Russell at HTS. I just got the A600 pro so I could start doing Lidar. I will be using HTS as soon as I get my first job :slight_smile: I have a buddy in Louisiana who highly recommended them as well.

On the PPK setup. I have ordered an Air Commander Entire V2 from Airpixel.cz. It should be here in a few days. With the Entire V2 and the Gremsy T3V3, the missing component will be the gimbal imu data. The Map Pilot Ninja is only available as a “total system”. You can’t just add it to an existing bird.

For right now I think I will be good to fire the A6000 for nadir mapping with the Entire V2 and then do PPK on the images using EZsurv from the Emlid M2 mounted on the M600.

The M600 is been out there a while but seems like it is still rock solid and will serve me well. After I get it rolling and make improvements I will share. Thanks for getting back to me.

Tim, it depends on your goal but yes I have the M600 fully functional for my purposes so I can most likely help you.

Adam adam.jordan@nhiae.com

Hi Mr.Adam,
I have DJI M600 + Ronin Mx + Sony alpha 7 R III + Remote Start-stop. With this setup, I can manually trigger the camera using Remote control. Does Pix4d help with this setup or else what is another flight app to take time interval shots? I tried the Inbuilt Time interval function of a Sony camera but It’s not working the images were not focused automatically.
Please give me a solution for this. If DJI remote stop only works with manual trigger then what’s the point to buy that product?

Hows it going Tim.

Just found this thread and was curious what you were able to figure out with your M600 pro.

Hi Dennis,
I still have my M600 Pro but I am actually using my M200 (v1) with a Lidar system that I got from TopoDrone (in Swedan). I can also do PPK mapping using the X4S modified by TopoDrone on the M200 as well. I can mount the same Lidar system on the M600 Pro so that is still an option. I would be incline to use the M600 in areas where I need added visibility (distance). Not sure if that helps but that is where I am at.

Tim

I did purchase a gimbal and messed around with using my A7Riii but I just never went anywhere with that setup. It is a Grimsy gimbal. For me the simplicity of using the X4S camera on the M200 or I2 is golden. If I continue to only use the M200 then i will likely sell the M600 Pro. hanging on to it for a bit longer in case I do find where it would be nice to have the M600 Pro for flight time and visibility to do the lidar missions.

I can also share my M600, Sony A7RII PPK setup if it helps you