Are the export TIFF files geoTIFFs

Hi all, maybe a really stupid question so apologies in advance!
The export function in P4DF shows two file types for ortho; rgb tiff and data tiff. Are these the same as a geoTiff? I need to create a geoTiff and import it into another program, which I want to try and do plant counts in.

Hi Chris,

both are geotiff, the RGB one is just the RGB bands with compression, so the field are smaller and good for optical inspection.

The. data orthos are all spectral bands without compression, so files are much bigger.

For your usecase maybe rgb will be good enough.

As ever, thanks Julius!
I hope we can perform plant counts in P4DF soon, it seems a shame to have to use other software.

1 Like

What if the input files are .jpg such as DJI Phantom images? Which option should be selected?

If you want to have the highest quality without los due to compression also data.TIF is the way to go. But usually rgb is fine, as it’s a great compromise between size and quality, especially if your input imagery was anyway just rgb, you won’t even lose spectral bands.

Will I lose anything if the input is jpg, such as DJI Phantom 4? I am not referring to so-called multispectral cameras like MicaSense. I just want to know whether I lose anything with the rgb file when starting out with jpg.

It isn’t clear because the data.TIF output is much larger than the rgb output even when starting with jpg (e.g., Phantom 4).

Yes you will lose some quality if you select the jpg output.

Thanks for the prompt response. Will you please let me know the source of the loss in quality? If I start out with .jpg then it has already been compressed and gamma applied. Is the rgb a rendered image? That is the only other thing I can think of.

It’s reduced because we export it at 75% of jpeg quality when you choose that option, and if you use the scale slide you can decrease it even further. the data.tif would be 100% quality in the case of jpg input imagery.

Thanks. In my opinion, this is just going to confuse people who start out with jpg files. Why not just export a jpg with a worldfile? Putting a compressed file (lossy) inside a .tiff container (people don’t expect to be lossy) is a confusing practice.

Hi @jsulik,

Thank you for your feedback. I will bring this to our PIX4Dfields team. :+1:

Best,
Rosana (she/her)