A challenging volume calculation?

I am calculating volumes on a large dataset and I have developed my own method for capturing volumes of complex areas. I wonder if there is a better way to find these volumes or a more accurate way that I haven’t thought of. I wonder if the community might have any thought on a similar situation. Here is the scenario (Idealized so I don’t  have to draw pictures):

Imagine you have a large bowl with a rounded bottom, buried to the brim in sand, then you add marbles to the bowl (a random amount, but for these purposes lets say there is enough to completely obscure the bottom of the bowl, but not enough to obscure the sides). You then capture images with sufficient overlap to make a 3D model. You cant see underneath the bowl (its obscured by the sand).

How do you determine the volume the marbles?

How do  you determine the volume of just the bowl?

In this case the bowl is a designed structure with know dimensions. Computations are the same but maybe a bit deferent work-flow.

I think you may already have good photometric data even without as-built data to optimize your calculations.

Perhaps I should have specified this as well, but we don’t know any of the dimensions ahead of time. And its true that we can measure the length and width (or diameter), but I don’t think there is a way to measure the depth. However One could certainly make assumptions, and I would be interested to know what assumptions the community might make to find the volumes of the marbles and the bowl.

Hi all,

A screenshot or a drawing would help to better understand :slight_smile:

I am not sure I fully understand the case, I just wanted to bring to your attention the fact that you can define the base of a Volume object at a specific height:

So, if you know the elevation of the bottom of the bowl, you could calculate the volume of the marbles.

Does this help? 

Yes a photo and or drawings would help but, better is to using the geometry from the aerial collect to calculate the wall slope and bottom estimation.

Natural excavations: volcanic crater, sink hole, meteoric excavation, etc.