Which cameras does Pix4D support?

Hi!
I am a newbie and I have some basic questions regarding the cameras to be used.

I was wondering what camera Pix4D support. Can Pix4Dmapper process any camera? Is there a minimum resolution that images should have? Should the camera be a DSLR or can I just use a common compact camera?
What about fisheye lenses? For what applications are they better?

Any information could be really helpful to me.

Thank you

Hello Angel,

Pix4Dmapper software can process images captured by any UAV and any camera, compact, DSLR, large frame and perspective or fisheye lens.
It is recommended to have at least 12 Mpixel of resolution images in order to process in Pix4Dmapper in order to extract enough keypoints to be matched between images.
In general, it is recommended to use perspective lenses for mapping applications and fisheye lenses for close range applications, like terrestrial projects.
Perspective lenses capture better quality images of higher resolution, but fisheye lenses capture background information that can be used for matching.

Also note that we have already included many cameras in our data base. So, the optimized camera parameters for these camera models will be loaded for processing.

Best regards,

Dear Nikoleta,

1. Do the camera specification is geo tagging or not?

2. Do we keep the stabilize position nor free style?

3. If I’d like to use blend the images result from camera drone & other camera, how’s the proper way to get good result for that one?

Thanks & kind Regards,

BAYU AMARTHA, Jakarta, Indonesia

Hi Bayu,

Digital Cameras save sensor information in the image “exif” and this can include Geotag or location information if the camera/UAV is configured to share this information with the file.

Pix4D doesn’t require images come from a stabilized platform, but processing will go more smoothly if the images are of good quality.  Images that are blurry, over/under exposed do not produce as many keypoints and tie points as better quality images.

If you are capturing images from multiple cameras and orientations, it may be best to process the data from each camera through the Initial Processing Step 1 and then merging the projects.   

Best Wishes,

Aaron Woods