I have a couple of questions that are related to a lot of other posts on the forum, but slightly different. I am processing very large files and while my workstation is handling them, it is getting older and processing times are going up. For some reason, one project I am processing right now is going incredibly slow for Step 2-I will need to troubleshoot a bit once it finishes (other large projects have processed quicker than this one).
My first question comes down to whether it is worth upgrading the CPU in my existing machine, or if I am much better off putting it towards a new workstation?
My existing machine has (I listed the CPU, RAM, GPU, if anyone wants other info, please ask):
- 4 core/8 thread i7-4770 3.4ghz
- 32gb DDR3 RAM
- GeForce 970 4GB
To upgrade to a significantly better processor, I would need to swap out the motherboard, and possibly the power supply. I’m guessing I would spend in the range of $1,200-$1,300 and this would change my CPU benchmark from about 10K to about 19K (with a Xeon 8 core/16 thread CPU in the 3.5ghz range).
My other option is to build a new workstation for somewhere in the range of $3,300. This system would include:
- 8 core/16 thread Xeon 3.7GHZ CPU
- 32GB DDR4 RAM
- GeForce 1080 8gb
My questions on a new system are:
- I’m looking at the Xeon W Scalable W-2145 3.7ghz processor, but I am not familiar with the Scalable series-does anyone have input on this?
- Trying to stay under $3,500, are there changes that anyone recommends?
Overall questions/thoughts include:
- Can anyone tell me how much of a difference I might expect to see with my existing system vs. upgrading the existing system vs. new system?
- It’s worth noting that one advantage to getting a new system is I can process a project on one, while doing other work on the other.
- This is going off topic a little bit, but in regards to #2 above, how does Pix4D Cloud do with processing very large jobs? One issue I have run into trying to test this is that Cloud will not upload if you have images with duplicate names. I have my photos categorized in folders by flight, so unfortunately my existing project does have photos with duplicate names (i.e. DJI_0001 in Flight 1 folder, and DJI_0001 in Flight 3 folder), so I would have to re-name the photos and re-create my project (through Step 1) before testing the Cloud service.
Thank you in advance,