Strange 3D output from Pix4D Cloud

Hi there. I have some strange outputs of 3D textured mesh in Pix4D Cloud. There is no difference when using GCPs or not. Is it the issue with the settings or anything else?

Hi,

Welcome to Pix4D Community!

Please, could you give more information about what type of project you are trying to reconstruct?
Also if you could post the quality report, we could provide better support.

We are looking forward to your answer.

Have a very nice day.

Best regards,

Hi Heydi

I was creating 3D Maps on the Cloud Advanced (not using GCPs in this case). I directly uploaded photos and let it to process. I attached the quality report. Thank you.
167277-Project-2022-06-28T14_30_24.381Z_report.pdf (3.6 MB)

Hi Lubomir,

The area I circled in red requires more overlap (the area that is mainly in white).

If you are using GCPs, please also make sure they are spread out within the area of interest. Additionally, please make sure they are at least 10 meters away from each other.

Step 1. Before Starting a Project > 4. Getting GCPs on the field or through other sources (optional but recommended)

Image acquisition

For most cases, the recommended overlap is at least 75% frontal overlap (with respect to the flight direction) and at least 60% side overlap (between flying tracks). The camera should be maintained as much as possible at a constant height over the terrain/object to ensure the desired GSD. If it’s in a vegetation dense area, the overlap needs to be increased to at least 85% frontal overlap and 70% side overlap as it seems to be the case here. (How to improve the outputs of dense vegetation areas using PIX4Dmapper?)

image7.png

Feel free to also take a look at these articles about verifying enough overlap and planning a flight.

How to verify that there is enough overlap between the images

Step 1. Before Starting a Project > 1. Designing the Image Acquisition Plan > a. Selecting the Image Acquisition Plan Type

Best regards,

Rosana

Hi Rosana

Thank you for your reply.

The area of the interest is that small green one in the middle of the screenshot I posted and that’s the area the photos are for. The ‘white clouds’ are way outside of the area I flew. Is there a way it can be clipped after or before the processing? Do I have to use Pix4D desktop version to do it? Thank you.

Kind regards,
Lubomir

Is there a way it can be clipped after or before the processing? Do I have to use Pix4D desktop version to do it?

In PIX4Dcloud, it is not possible to add a render area, basically, all images uploaded to the project are rendered. I recommend uploading only the images that correspond to the small green one in the middle of the screenshot, as you refer.

If you want to use an area of interest, you can take advantage of this feature in PIX4Dmapper or PIX4Dmatic.

Best regards,

Thank you Heydi.

The issue seems to be with oblique photos. The software take into the account the background (attached) and creates the cloud like model. Is there a way to avoid it? I don’t have the access to Pix4D Mapper as it doesn’t work on Windows 11(afaik). Thank you.
pix

Hi Lubomir,

In PIX4Dcloud it is not possible to avoid this, since the software has modeled all the image content of each one of the images, the outputs cannot be changed. In this case we suggest you re-fly the area with a more nadir pitch angle than you have used in this project.

However if you export the PPIX4Dcloud project to PIX4Dmapper then you can use the “mask” tool to sort out this issue. For more information, please refer to the following article: How to remove the Sky from the Point Cloud using the Annotation Tool

Mapper as it doesn’t work on Windows 11(afaik)

The biggest incompatibility issue of PIX4Dmapper with Windows 11 is due to the automatic synchronization of OneDrive to the Desktop of your PC. If you disable this option, more likely it will be resolved.

I hope this information was useful for you.

Have a very nice day.

Best regards,

Thank you, Heydi.

That’s very helpful.

Have a nice day.
Lubomir