setting maximum size for .las file outputs

Hi –

I’m working with dense point clouds over fairly large areas resulting in point clouds that are ~70-100 GB. The tiles produced by point cloud densification are highly variable in file size with some being ~6-8 GB. These very large files become difficult to work with. Is there any way to set a maximum file size (say, 1 GB) for these .las outputs? I realize I can split them later but this is less efficient.

Thanks for any thoughts,

Mike

Hi Mark,

There is no option to set the limit of the generated tiles of the point cloud.

The size of the LAS file depends on the number of points. One point will take 34 bytes disk space. The number of points that are generated during step 2. Point Cloud and Mesh depends on several factors such as the image size, image content and processing options. 

There are 2 processing options for step 2. Point Cloud and Mesh that have an impact on the number of points generated:

• Image Scale
  • Point Density

For more information about the processing options and the number of generated points: Menu Process > Processing Options… > 2. Point Cloud and Mesh > Point Cloud and How many Points are generated during step 2. Point Cloud and Mesh?

I would recommend setting Full Keypoints Image Scale in step 1 processing options and 1/2 or 1/4 Image Scale with Low Point Density in step 2.

In addition, also defining a Processing Area before running Step 2 will reduce the size of the outputs.

I hope it helps