Mapping quality with Evo 2 Pro compared to Phantom 4 Pro?

Since the Autel Evo 2 Pro has a rolling shutter camera, it is theoretically inferior to the global shutter camera of the Phantom 4 Pro for mapping.

In practice, is there a noticeable difference?
I’m looking for first hand-experiences (the internet is full of opinions about the theory.)

It would be interesting to see aggregated cloud map quality scores from Pix4D to compare mapping platforms.

Thank you!

Hi, We had some datasets from autel evo 2 while adding it to our database. I would say there is no noticeable difference and it works really well for mapping. I will recommend reaching out to our colleague @Angad_Singh, he will be able to give you more details since he flew the drone a number of times.

Hi -

I think you will need to make your own opinion. User knowledge will make an impact with this one - I like that the Autel Evo 2 Pro doesn’t over expose “white colors” like DJI does, so that helps. If you fly slow, put the linear rolling shutter correction on, and set the camera correctly no reason you shouldn’t get awesome results with the Evo 2 Pro, just like you would expect with the DJI Phantom 4 Pro. Its also a newer drone on the market - and we should wait a bit until some surveyors have had ample time to do projects with the Autel Evo 2 Pro to declare loudly who is the winner.

2 Likes

Thank you for your input, Angad. I agree about declaration of winner… the Evo 2 still seems to have some firmware challenges with its sensors, and we’ll have to see if Autel can address those properly. But good to hear that the camera is up to the task.

Regards,
Knut