How to import an area of interest polygon in the Pix4DCapture app IOS version?

Hi Borja,

Thank you for your feedback. In our will to improve our software, we always try to integrate as much as possible users feedbacks as they are very valuable for us. But in the decision process, implementing new functionalities also depends on a lot of others factors.

I fully understand your problem here and there is no solution at the moment as none of the Pix4Dcapture versions combine the two functionalities that you are using for your flights.

The workarounds at the moment would be to change the basemap provider on iOS so that you will have updated maps when planning your flights like using google maps for example. On Android, as the Micasense camera parameters are not taken into account, there is no simple way to get an optimal acquisition and it mainly relies on an experiment. You can, for example, set the speed of the drone to slow.

Best,

Gaël, how many pages of requests does Pix4d need in order to realize that this function is important to its users?! Our company has now fully moved away from using Pix4d on our tablets purely because of the lack of KML function.

1 Like

We have completely abandoned Pix4D in our workflows because of the incredible limitations and lack of development of the app on the iOS platform.

There are so many other great products that does exactly what we want them to, so it’s no use continuing to bash our heads against this problem.

2 Likes

I would like to remove both my super computers from Pix4D to another non cloud based processing software if anyone has suggestions.

I have also been waiting to see the KML / KMZ import. We do Oil Field mapping, power line mapping and thermal substaion mapping and the satellite imagery is never up to date and does not allow accurate flight planning.

Any suggestion would be appreciated…

Eric, I would really be interested in what other software your referring to.

Lane, I use map pilot for DJI for all my flying. It’s only on Apple. I stopped using pix4ds software after my original beta test. They just don’t seem to care about this end is the product.

1 Like

This is what fails to happen when we get a group of tech savvy people having the ability to create software for a specific purpose that totally bypasses the foundation of geographical architecture because they are an airborne application and not on the ground.  Can you imagine trying to survey an engineered property from the ground level with no prior boundaries or references input? What’s the point of paying for one of the most well organized and most expensive platforms for mapping and map processing if we cannot assign specific boundaries via file transfers e.g. KML KMZ CSV DXF DWG and/or Shapefiles that are utilized in GIS for standard surveying applications making GPS RTK/PPK GNSS to drone flight plans compatible with each other.  How can all of these wonderful so called “user friendly drone mapping platforms” invest so much and promote surveying precision when we have to begin with the arduous task of manually applying them via other applications and guessing our visual boundaries in a flight plan?  Imagine opening a file that has been designed for a project and is it blank… nothing there… where do we start?  How does the world build on something like that?  I believe most drone flight apps are missing a critical step in the beginning when it comes to project boundaries and reference points, the foundation of every project built in this world concerning geographical, structural or agricultural applications.   I would hope all drone app developers would take this more seriously and am pleased to see some of them are making an effort to do so.   Terrain awareness is also another big concern under contract at a specific minimal GSD, in order to maintain that GSD in undulating terrain the drone has to follow the natural grade as well. 

I am looking forward to platform developers really getting it together when it comes to the foundation of geographical boundaries and terrain awareness in order to make our drone software completely “user friendly”.  Drones are finally improving to the point where we will be using one model for several years not changing them every time a new one is released.  This is like having an expensive navigation system in your car with no way to install a map that pertains to your operating area.

I hope tech reviews the seriousness of this missing link between ground and drone surveying operations then implement a solution.

6 Likes

Why do drone platform engineers seem to focus too much attention towards another SDK for a new drone when we already have drone software’s that are not fully functional?  The new SDK is important but it seems we are left with incomplete platforms because developers care more about what’s new rather than what we have invested in and are currently using.  Most professional people would hold onto their drones longer if they knew there would be a substantial delay for the complete development of a platform for a model they invested in that has been circulation for a while and does the job well enough especially after purchasing 8 or 10 batteries.   We wouldn’t be so quick to purchase a new drone if the one we have has more benefits concerning processing.

Because software engineers do not provide complete services they sort of create their own tech problems because drone manufacturers will continue to produce new drones rather than realizing they should just make upgrades available.  Imagine platform developers influencing drone manufacturers because owners hold on to their fully functional drones until the new drone software is fully developed for the next model.   That may very well keep you guys from scrambling so much every time a new drone is released. 

Grab a bull by the horns, it will realize you have a hold of him and take another direction giving you an opportunity to complete your tasks.

3 Likes

Very well said Mikel! This thread is going onto well over a year for a feature request that is three pages long with people requesting it. I honestly do not see Pix4D implementing this nor do I see them ever doing Terrain Awareness. I moved on from this app because it was not meeting my needs over 2 years ago.

2 Likes

Thinking the same as Mikel and Erik.

1 Like

I’ve given up. Trialing other software now.

LAT/LON Grid-  I’d like to +1 for this or similar solution. I’ve tried creating a custom map server (local, served over in-field WiFi) with GeoServer and used the linking within Pix4D Capture for iOS, but for some reason, syntax on my URL isn’t quite working with my WMS/TMS. I am working with a Parrot Disco Pro AG, so I’m pretty much locked into Pix4D Capture, and I work in Kazakhstan, so even ESRI satellite maps are too outdated/low resolution for planning. Maybe instead of .kml import, just a simple grid could be turned on in the map view, so that known coordinates of the client’s land (usually legal boundaries) can be used to define the flight plan.

EDIT: Figured it out. you can use GeoServer to host a private map server and view shapefiles, multiple layers at once, etc.

The correct URL format for Pix4D capture wound up being: http://_ server_address :8080/geoserver/gwc/service/gmaps?layers= workspace_name : layer_name _&zoom={z}&x={x}&y={y}&format=image/png

For people with .KML/KMZ, use QGIS or ArcMap to import then export as a shapefile or geopackage.

Hi all,

As an update, it is our long-time goal is to have the possibility to import an area of interest on the iOS version of Pix4Dcapture.
The approach of our applications in the future is to have more interoperability between platforms/devices to simplify/improve the user’s experience, especially for business owners. Implementing the ability for the user to import a .kml/.kmz file is definitely part of that and a special attention is given by our teams for this at the moment.

However, we can not give any timeline about this but be sure that all your comments are read and taken into account for the improvement of our application and we encourage them. We will keep you updated as often as necessary in the implementation of features.

Thank you for your understanding,

Best,

And another person to the list who needs to have the KMZ addition to IOS.

Im in northern Ontario Canada.

The map for my location hasn’t been updated since 2014. And the titles adjacent to my location haven’t been updated for longer than that.

My map is black and white - not an ideal map what so ever.

Is import kml kmz in the near future basically pix4d capture is useless as a commercial app I use DroneDeploy which I highly recommend to anyone as a GREAT app load fly drone returns log on desktop generate flight plans before going to the field problem why don’t I use it then dronedeploy wont load to DJI crystalsky pix4d will but won’t load kml so preparing a days flight plans based off project boundaries can’t happen as a commercial project is under construction you can’t determine the boundaries off an outdated map import project into google earth generate kml of boundary import fly just not with pix4d capture 

Hello, everybody. I took a decision to migrate to another platform, because of all the issues with that software. Please, if someone has a clue how to sell my Parrot Disco Pro Ag drone or swap it for a DJI drone, please let me know. Thank you in advance.

@mikel lee got it right. Currently Pix4Dcapture is a kind of toy/light version of a serious capture app. We can’t use it on our largest greenfield construction projects because there isn’t anything to reference, and I’m not going to ask my team to tap around, trial and error style, on >1000 acre projects. I understand that Pix4D makes their money on the processing/backend side, but if this company truly is rooted in research, with a belief that R&D is key to push the boundaries of modern photogrammetry (source), can we please get this functionality that people have been asking about for 2+ years?

1 Like

My base map hasn’t been updated in at least 5 years. It’s so outdated and in black and white for some reason, that there is very little to use as a reference.

Surprisingly, most competitors - ex. Drone Deploy, offers many functions PIX4D does not offer.

And that really bothers me considering the cost I paid for a lifetime license plus yearly a support fee.

For the cost associated with a Premium service like Pix4d, I should have every option and then some that lower-priced competitors offer.

It feels like Pix4d, has hit a plateau in the desire to implement new - worthwhile, features.

Or perhaps are completely out of touch with its users?

Sure there’s a lot of “filler” options but the majority of Pix4d users utilize the software for business ventures.

I shouldn’t have to utilize 2 - 3 different platforms for processing.

The only thing keeping us with Pix4d right now is the fact that we can do local processing.

Cloud processing is not a viable service when you work in remote locations.

We have been in contact with D.D. and seriously considering making the switch.

Hopefully, Pix4d steps it up this year and gets back in touch with its customer base.

If not, we will be completely abandoning Pix4d, and moving to Drone Deploy for good.

Hi Jason, 

Knowing that the possibility to import a .kml/.kmz file is not implemented on iOS, I can suggest you other workarounds that may solve the issue of outdated basemap. However, be reassured that each feedback is taken into consideration and shared with the product owner and the capture team.

In some places, you may experience missing tiles while using the map or satellite view depending on the zoom level. It can be possible to zoom but no tile is displayed or the zoom level is blocked. Unfortunately, only the base map provider is responsible for that. For Pix4Dcapture, the default provider is Mapbox (powered by OpenStreetMap) for the street and satellite basemap.

Workarounds :

• Change the street or/and satellite basemap provider. In Pix4Dcapture, go to Settings > Map. 
  • Set a custom map provider like Google Maps. This community post and this comment describe how to proceed.

We agree that remaining in a Pix4D environment from the image acquisition to the process is the more efficient workflow. However, like all other competitors, Pix4Dcapture has strong and weak points. Keep in mind that Pix4Dcapture is free software and that if you can not get satisfying results with it, we recommend using any third-party app that will fit your needs. Pix4D’s image processing engine supports images that are captured with any third party flight planning application as long as you have sufficient image overlap for your project. so please feel free to fly with any application that fits your needs.

Best,

Is it possible to do multiple missions for the parrot disk pro ag? If possible, how do I do it?