How to import an area of interest polygon in the Pix4DCapture app IOS version?

The problem we have is that the background map is very out of date. As shown below, the backgound is still showing as a farm however the site has changed dramatically over the past year and trying to guess the flight areas without using the import kml feature is proving difficult. Even the google earth satellite image is out of date but is at least more up to date than the map box image.

Is there no way of creating the flight mission in the android version and sharing it so its available in the IOS version?

2 Likes

Hi Matthew,

Unfortunately, iOS and Android OSs aren’t the same and aren’t compatible.

Waiting for the import .kml/.kmz feature to be available on iOS, there is the possibility to select alternative Street basemap providers or Satellite basemap providers. They might be more up to date.

To use an alternative map provider:

• In the Home screen, tap  Settings.
  • In the Settings menu, in the section Maps, tap  Street basemap provider  or  Satellite basemap provider.
  • Tap the current provider to display the drop-down list and select another name. Scroll down if needed.

Don’t hesitate to feedback us.

• 1 for the iOS kms import. Had to change software for iPad and buy another tablet to try for android.

also the ability to string multiple missions together so that you can fly a double grid in a polygon without landing in the middle.

controlling approach to mission area and setting a return to home path would be advantageous.

Please add me to the list of  people needing KML import

1 Like

Seems that the common response is that the background maps are sufficient. I can tell you they are far from so. Where i am constantly flying in Sydney is a very large construction site and the safest way to fly is by loading kml of flight boundaries.

The maps are not even close anymore not sure when the last update was but it must have been over 2 years ago.

I brought an android tablet only to find that the software does not run anywhere near as smoothly on it and the video feed is rubbish.

I think there is clearly a need to implement the kml import for ios.

1 Like

Hi everyone! Just use drone deploy problem solved. K-Bye. 

I’d like to add my interest to the chorus. My operations are often in tidal areas where basemaps are almost useless. Having the capacity to transfer area of interest polygons directly to the survey tool would be incredibly helpful. Please stop forcing us to use half-baked workarounds (or other apps).

I’m also a bit confused as to why the tools being developed for IOS and Android have diverged as much as they appear to for the Pix4d capture app. I can understand one or the other platform getting a feature first, but I’d think there would be an interest in then rolling the feature out on the other platform…

1 Like

Cmon Pix4D hurry up and implement this!  another thread on desktop flight planning has been around since 2016!

You keep telling us its being considered or that its in the pipeline. Very frustrating to plan missions with outdated maps or where precise boundaries are necessary.

Often in remote areas when you zoom into the map its just too grainy to make out details, so its difficult to plan properly.

Would love to get an actual time-frame on when it will be added, if ever.

2 Likes

Favor añadirme a la lista de personas interesadas en poder cargar un kml a las misiones, ya que, los mapas están muy desactualzados.

Happy birthday to this unsolved post!

3 Likes

Hello from Bulgaria. I’m an owner of a drone operating company for precise agriculture. We are using Parrot Disco Pro AG and we faced a lot of problems till now. First of all the Android version is not supporting the drone (development is in your pipeline, I suggest). We bought Apple Ipad for our needs, but the IOS version of Pix4Dcapture is really cutted out - there is no Polygonal Missions and we don’t have a chance to import KML, KMZ or .shp files.My question is : How am I supposed to go there on the field of the farmer and draw a flight plan of my drone, when the base map has changed and I don’t know where are the field boundaries? Every single farmer has a shapefile of his parcels, because they draw the boundaries of the fields they are cultivating. Why you don’t hire more people to develop this app better and faster ? Till when we are going to receive almost robotic answers like " Your feedback has been shared with the developer’s team so that they consider implementing this functionality in the future.
We also encourage users who would like this functionality on iOS to feedback us."?

I do not think that it suits a company as yours to neglect the users needs for such a long period.

1 Like

The worst part in iOS version is that WE CAN NOT USE MANUAL CAMERA SETTINGS!!! IT RUINS ALL THE PROJECT!!! SHUTTER SPEED JUMPS FREQUENTLY AND IMAGES ARE BLURRY!!! PLEASE ALLOW US TO USE MANUAL SETTINGS

Very often, my survey areas are given to me by a survey team as they are to cover a new area. They give me a KML file that shows the area to be covered. This is such a simple way of doing it, I’m amazed that there is no iOS method for importing the data. Even dronedeploy do it, and it works well. Unfortunately, with no desktop planning support and no real iOS support, I cannot see me using your app at all. 

I would also benefit greatly if I could just upload a KML/KMZ file to my ipad

@Scott @Paul @Hrsw @Luke @Benoit @Phil @Rich @Jesus @Juan @Pavel @Ken

Thank you for all of your additional contributions to this ongoing post and discussion. I wanted to ensure you that I have made note of all of your comments and requests and have sent them to our development team for review. I understand the frustrations some of you have expressed towards the time this request has remained open. I have made sure that our development team is aware of this very much needed and requested feature. 

@Luke

I agree, that while the ability to change the base map is a useful feature, it does not have the same functionality as the ability to import a boundary and plan a mission based off that boundary. The ability to use a different base map is a helpful tool (in some cases) to help you accurately plan your mission in the meantime as we consider this additional feature. The ability to import a KML would solve many of the problems associated with flight planning and outdated basemap imagery. 

@Phil

I can understand your frustrations with our provided workarounds and suggestions on how to perform your operations. In many cases, like working in tidal areas with a continuously changing environment,  there is no substitute for the ability to import a boundary. 

Making our iOS and Android applications similar in functionality is something that is a priority for our team. Having the same functionality across both platforms will make it much easier for users to seamlessly use the application, without the need to switch back and forth because a particular feature is not offered. This is definitely something we are actively looking into and working towards. 

@Rich

At this time we are not actively working to implement this feature on iOS. I cannot claim if or when such a feature will exist. 

@Pavel

Those are all very good points, this tool would be very helpful for our users who actively work in the agricultural domain. At this time we are not actively working on this feature and I cannot confidently say if we will be working on it in the future. 

Best,

Josh

Hi Tech team

Like everyone else I’d like to see the KML upload on pad. currently use sitescan (soon to stop) and they have ability to upload on a web based platform. This is then available on the ipad when you open the flight plan on the app.  could this be a work around to being able to get a kml into the project.  The issue mentioned before as well that the imagery is way out of date would be somewhat circumvented then. 

I realise the team is busy but given how long this thread has been going I would have thought something would have been actioned by now.  Still I prefer Pix4d to Sitescan : )

cheers

Arthur

Hi Arthur,

Thank you for your feedback.
As my colleague, Joshua said in a previous comment even if we are aware of what would bring to users such a feature, at this time we are not actively working to implement it on iOS. I then cannot say if or when such a feature will exist. 

In the meantime, I would suggest the following workaround:
-  Set a custom map provider like Google Maps. This community post and this comment describe how to proceed.

• Use the Android version of Pix4Dcapture where .Kml/.Kmz is possible.

Best,

Hello. I would like to know how I am going to use Pix4d software on my Android device when the Android version doesn’t support Parrot Disco Pro Ag? Why Parrot Anafi is supported when it’s release date was more than a year after Parrot Disco Pro Ag? Why you didn’t develop the software for the drones on the market instead of the forthcoming? Just to sum up : I have a drone, which I need to operate with your software but neither the iOS or Android versions support the whole functionalities. And as far as I understand from your answers, you don’t have even a clue when we will have a fully working software. That is really sad.

A third-party desktop flight planning app for curved, convergent, non-traditional (non-linear/non-parallel) flight paths is in the works; and it will export kml, csv, and shp files for import into other apps - for piloted and UAV aircraft.

Specific use with polygonal areas and long narrow corridors is to be provided.

The motivation for this app is to help mitigate the systematic SfM doming/dishing (elevation) error. Specific attention is being given to nadir and oblique images.

Google “curved, convergent, non-traditional flight paths”.

Hello Pix4D Team 

I want to expose the problem I found with kmz. and kml. files.

First of all the background: In my company we have a DJI Matrice 210 with a Rededge-M sensor from Micasense. I tried IOS and Android Pix4D capture versions and both have pros and cons but not one a fusion of the advantages making Pix4D capture a much reliable app (is already the best app to flight planning in my opinion, but is possible to improve more some features :wink: ).

Basically with ANDROID version I can import kml/kmz files without problems but I couldn’t define the camera settings for my sensor, so even if I see the kml/kmz files Pix4D doesn’t understand that I can use different sensors instead of DJI cameras with other parameters, that affects dramatically the flight times. In the other hand on IOS version I can configure the sensor settings but not import kml/kmz… so…even with the kml/kmz feature implemented in the Android version you will have problems if you are not using “standard sensors”. So I prefer IOS version today.

This topic is more than 1 year opened and maybe the solution for me is know if I can change the camera settings in Android version as I can do in IOS version. Then I will switch from IOS to Android definitely.